Operating system compatability?

seanyd

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
i was just researching the web to help me choose what OS i might want, for a new computer i'm going to build, when a certain question came across my path.
what Bit OS is compatible with the motherboard and CPU i'm looking to use?

this is the motherboard that was recommended to me: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4

and this is the CPU as well: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

so my basic questions are as follows:

what Bit OS can i use with these hardware pieces?
between windows 7 and windows 8, which one should i choose?

i know 64 bit is better, and i currently have windows 7 which was pre-installed on my current computer, so all-in-all I've seen both OSs in action, just not much of windows 8.

Having a touch screen is not really a major point since w8 desktop is exactly like w7. Only in metro, which is very limited in uses, will touch be beneficial. I have w8 on my laptop and w7 on my desktop. It really doesn't matter since you will be in desktop most if not all the time. However, you will need to get w7 pro to use more than 16gb ram. So w8 would be the cheaper solution.

It's not really a concern of compatibility but you need 64bit to address more than 4gb of ram. 32 bit will see all the ram and it can be used as a ram drive but it just can't use more as system ram. Cpu/mobo doesn't matter.