Operating System Error

Hi All,

I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000 system:

"File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".

Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
error message:

"Error loading operating system".

I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without any
luck.

Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or would I
have to install the operating system once again.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

DRTP

DRTP wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000 system:
>
> "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
>
> Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
> error message:
>
> "Error loading operating system".
>
> I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without any
> luck.
>
> Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or would I
> have to install the operating system once again.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> DRTP

I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
important information that is stored on this hard drive and
the potential need to replace it.

"GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message

> DRTP wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000
system:

> > "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
> >
> > Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
> > error message:
> >
> > "Error loading operating system".
> >
> > I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without
any
> > luck.
> >
> > Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or
would I
> > have to install the operating system once again.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > DRTP
> >

> I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
> important information that is stored on this hard drive and
> the potential need to replace it.

I would agree with GHalleck's appraisal but would like to add that I've seen
Identical behaviour resulting from a bad memory module.

POST messages should show that shouldn't they?

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:WPX5e.3881699$Zm5.620773@news.easynews.com...

> "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message
> >
> > DRTP wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000
> system:
> > >
> > > "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
> > >
> > > Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
> > > error message:
> > >
> > > "Error loading operating system".
> > >
> > > I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without
> any
> > > luck.
> > >
> > > Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or
> would I
> > > have to install the operating system once again.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > DRTP
> > >

> > I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
> > important information that is stored on this hard drive and
> > the potential need to replace it.
> >

> I would agree with GHalleck's appraisal but would like to add that I've seen
> Identical behaviour resulting from a bad memory module.

POST typically does not do a comprehensive memory test, most times just
a memory "count" is performed to see how much is attached.