Operating System Won't Boot. "Harddrive is locked"

BrokePC

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
What Happened:
Today I updated my windows 8.1 on my desktop. However, when it restarted, it was running extremely slow. After I waited 30 minutes, I came back to find my computer fully loaded but still running extremely slow (I couldn't even get task manager open for 5 minutes). I then manually shutdown the PC and restarted it. Now, it goes to a black screen after the BIOS screen with no text but a flashing underscore "_".

What I've Done:
I created a windows 8.1 startup repair USB flashdrive and attempted to run a refresh but got the error message "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again".

I also tried System Restore but it says "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Select an operating system, and then select System Restore".

I also tried the startup repair but nothing was fixed. I couldn't Backup to a System Image either.

What can I do to fix this and get my computer to boot up again? How do I unlock my harddrive? I don't care if I lose everything on it. There is minimal minimal software or files on the computer, so if I can just reinstall the windows onto a cleaned computer, I would accept an answer that does that.

BrokePC

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I now have an operating system up and running on a separate hard drive. Is there anyway I can wipe the other hard drive clean or unlock it? I reformatted the disk, but its still locked.