Opinion: BioShock Infinite is Groundbreaking, But Not Perfect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I recall uber ratings of first bioshocks, which I couldn't play for more than an hour, the begining was "wow, cool world", "wow, nice touch", but gameplay was very boring.

I wonder how much of those "metascores" are directly or indirectly sponsored.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I recall uber ratings of first bioshocks, which I couldn't play for more than an hour, the begining was "wow, cool world", "wow, nice touch", but gameplay was very boring. I wonder how much of those "metascores" are directly or indirectly sponsored.[/citation]

Just because the game isn't "your game" doesn't mean it's terrible, or there is a conspiracy to rate the game high. E.g. I don't like or play WoW, but I also understand that despite that, it's a huge success and a lot of people really like the game. Wow, like Bioshock is not a terrible game. It's just that I don't like WoW. Me not liking it doesn't change it's success or fun for everyone else. By the same token, you not liking Bioshock in no way makes it less of an awesome game.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Bioshock Infinite is a neat game, but it isn't perfect due to following reasons IMO:
1. The ending is a bit too ambiguous (I read more about it in a forum and it still is quite paradoxical)
2. The gunplay is worse than the previous two games. The arenas are huge, but the battles feel chaotic with you just trying to survive rather than tactically taking your enemies out by using environment.
3. Using Elizabeth's abilites too much should have had some consequence on her well being, like it was shown two years back in a demo, but it ain't so in final game (I actually rarely used her abilities)
4. The guns feel good, but sticking with only two ruins the experience in a way. No matter how good your aim is, the final level sucked because I kept running out of ammo for the carbine I was using.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I think this article would benefit from a Spoiler alert at the beginning and then tell us what these plot holes you have found are. And give us examples of where we have seen this story before.

Otherwise all we have here is a random opinion, with no reasoning behind it.

Just my opinion :)

ShalomJuitsie

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I for one gave up on Bioshock 2 because there were too many guns available-I couldn'tt remember where they were saved on the key board-so I'm very glad you can only use 2 guns-haven't played it yet

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This game had the best story I've seen since Witcher 2. Farcry 3 was OK I guess but nothing close to Infinite. Its hard to find a game with a good story and good graphics to boot. I hope we get some more PC games with great stories and don't have to wait for Witcher 3 for that. I'd trade online games for a good story any day.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Generic shooter game play, visuals that get the job done but aren't fantastic and a passable story. But but... it has such a unique setting/environment! Groundbreaking! Technological Marvel! 10/10...

Give me a break.

swilczak

Distinguished

It was the same thing with the first 2 bioshocks. I read all of these reviews that said it was the greatest game ever made, but when I played it I thought it was okay but not great.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I still remember playing the first one cause everyone said how groundbreaking and technologically advanced it was. It wasn't. Had the same old mechanics, had the same old linear story with the same old scripted environmental changes (Shoot only this wall with this spell and it'll crumble) and I couldn't play it past 2 hours (Forced myself that far).

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
all the stories and/or moods set by games and movies have been done before. So I really dont pay much attention to the story and concentrate more on the graphics and the way that they tell the story. Bioshock infinite (I won a free copy from Spike TV last year at the VGAs) has very good graphics in some places and horrible in others. Get on an elevator and look at the pixelated textures, get up close to some flowers and note that they are all but 2 dimensional, etc., etc., etc.. But The overall play of the game and its innovative approach to game mechanics are what make it a fun game to play through. What I was surprised about was that even thought I got a retail DVD copy it still was a steam install. If thats how I had to install it all they had to do was send me a letter saying here's your game code to get your free copy of bioshock infinite on steam. But hey whatever its on there and it runs Im not complaining.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
shooting, enemy verity, those are problems in this game, and being a first person shooter, they are damn big ones. story is good, but unless you play a fps for a story (how many do) you will find the game lacking.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

And I think that is where you are going to find the divide between the love it or leave camps.
I played for the story, to be a part of it's world and adventure in it. I don't think BSI was developed to be just another FPS. They wanted you to live the story, like Halflife.
If story doesn't matter to you, then this game won't because it's not a top notch FPS but still good. The game is about the story and it's setting.
If you want to experience a good story, a detail oriented world with excellent dialog and voice acting for once, the simplistic FPS aspect of this game become easier to overlook.

I think there are more people that want to interact with a good story than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.