Question Opinion on pairing RTX 3080 w R5 5600?

Chris06

Prominent
Dec 11, 2022
Hi, i tend to use my pc for fps and story games every now and then but I could never tell whether or not my graphics card is fully utilised. Recently, I was given an offer I couldnt refuse for a second hand 3080 and it's worked really well. My point is that I can't judge if I am missing out on even more fps and if I am, I want to know your opinion on whether it's worth upgrading to a better cpu.

Reactions: artk2219

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Your Ryzen 5 5600 is putting a measurable bottleneck on your GPU, especially if you're running games at 1080p, but it's not worth upgrading your CPU over. Even if you have the budget to do so, the Ryzen 9000 series launch is right around the corner, and I would hold off until then. If you're really worried about it, find some ways to put more strain on the video card. Bump up the graphics settings, try disabling DLSS where applicable, and enable supersampling. All of these will put more load on the video card, and while it might not boost your FPS in any significant way, you will still be getting some benefits out of your new 3080.

Reactions: Chris06

logainofhades

Titan
A 5600 is not bottlenecking a 3080, unless you are playing a game that is super CPU bound. If you want to see if your GPU is being fully utilized, you can download MSI afterburner and use it OSD tools to monitor performance.

NgcARhwkfbyirrZScknbCb-1024-80.png.webp

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
The 5600 can definitely bottleneck the 3080 at some games but the real question is - does it matter? If you are playing on the settings you want to play with the framerates you wanna game at, then who cares?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Once again, we need to remind members that ALL systems have bottlenecks. Every last one of them.

In this case, the CPU and GPU pairing will work together just fine in the vast majority of uses.

Ignore on-line bottleneck calculators. Buy what you can afford, and tweak games/apps for optimal use in YOUR configuration.

Reactions: logainofhades