[SOLVED] Opinion on upgrade, Ryzen 5 3600 or 5600 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

farhanf44

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Hello, first of all, sorry if it'll be a long writing and full of inconsistency...

I was hesitating on some things when I look back on what is the best CPU I should choose for my MSI B350m Gaming Pro board.

I almost decided to use R5 5600 for my new build, but then again, after I looked at the reviews on YT... A question popped out, I know there are few people using 5000 series on B350m, but I never saw the actual result on my specific board. They are usually using better B350m than mine. I'm not someone well off, so I must choose things with most Value.

Never updated any bios,and the beta bios is a bit scary too for me, will my R3 2200G become completely unusable after I upgrade my bios? (Can I revert back the bios?)

My budget is around 140$, after sorting it out I think I have 2 options (feel free if there's any opinion on what I should buy) :
  1. Ryzen 5 5600
  2. Used Ryzen 3600 + DDR4 3200MHZ 16GB
What makes me thinking of these two are :
"Maybe R5 5600 can only work as much as Ryzen 5 3600 on my mobo"
It might be wrong, please correct it if it is. 🙏

My build right now :
Ryzen 3 2200G
MSI B350m Gaming Pro mobo
8GB 2660Mhz RAM (yeah, lacking in ram too)
MSI Mech 2x RX 6600 XT
Seasonic G550W

Solution
will my R3 2200G become completely unusable after I upgrade my bios?

No.

Can I revert back the bios?

You could, but this i do not suggest. Since with BIOS rollback, you could brick your MoBo. Heck, you could even brick your MoBo with BIOS update, IF for whatever reason, BIOS update should be interrupted (e.g power loss).

"Maybe R5 5600 can only work as much as Ryzen 5 3600 on my mobo"

MoBo doesn't limit what CPU can do. Power delivery and thermals are the ones that limit what CPU can do.

Power delivery only matters if you OC your CPU. If you run stock clocks, power delivery doesn't matter either.

Thermals matter the most, since when CPU reaches 90+C, it will thermal throttle, reducing CPU frequency...
I don't assume. I read what MSI has stated in their MoBo specs sheet. In nowhere i can read that "3600 Mhz or higher frequency RAM, would work" within the MSI specs sheet.
Show us one place where any motherboard mfr. says 3600 (or higher) is guaranteed to work...or even should work. You can't, because AMD doesn't and they make the processor that has the MMU in it.

It's overclocking on every AM4 CPU, and therefore board, out there and there's no assurances provided that it should work. They can't do it, if anything warranties might be voided if they do try it.

It's not shouting. It's emphasis so you get the point which you are missing still.

Last edited:

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I think the OP has probably left. He's got his CPU upgrade. It worked as well as he'd hoped, which is fantastic. His ram is good enough to get by with. If he wants more he knows 3200mhz is a safe bet and 3600 is not guaranteed and possibly not even worth the trouble.

As for the arguments, it's silly. For Ryzen AM4 boards CPU memory controllers are more often than not the deciding factors for memory frequency.

Any Google search for "best Ryzen 5000 series memory" reveals threads, articles and videos that state the same thing. 3200mhz is a solid safe choice, 3600mhz is the next step for the enthusiast to try, but it's not guaranteed. Some people "gasp" may even go beyond 3600mhz. I know, it's like the world is literally falling apart.

It's all been stated multiple times by just about everyone involved in this thread. The arguments are really arguments about the same thing with differing positions..

Blatant personal attacks for no real reason. Staunch false information that B350 boards can't and won't run anything over 3200mhz... It's incredible that one person involved is so aggressively wrong. Holding onto a patently false position, with absolutely no advice for the OP, just proving the lack of knowledge about old AM4 motherboards paired with the most modern AM4 cpu's.

Oddly enough that same disruptive poster is also incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and patient just about any other thread I've seen him involved in.

I'll be leaving this thread, wishing the OP continued luck with his upgraded build.

KyaraM

Admirable
🔥🔥🔥it's very nice, thanks for all the opinions before. Using 2 x 4gb 2666mhz right now, and I think it's already surpassing my old 2200G GREATLY. Can't wait to see what better Ram will give me 😍
I recommend getting a 16GB DDR4-3200 kit (2x8GB). That should work well in your system, and costs maybe 40 bucks right now in Europe. Think something like Corsair Vengeance LPX or G.Skill Aegis/Ripjaws V should work well as budget options. Prices for DDR4 in that speed class are currently dropping off a cliff, so I'm sure you can find something decent.

Reactions: farhanf44

logainofhades

Titan
Show us one place where any motherboard mfr. says 3600 (or higher) is guaranteed to work...or even should work. You can't, because AMD doesn't and they make the processor that has the MMU in it.

It's overclocking on every AM4 CPU, and therefore board, out there and there's no assurances provided that it should work. They can't do it, if anything warranties might be voided if they do try it.

It's not shouting. It's emphasis so you get the point which you are missing still.

My board clearly states support for 3600. I have ran 3200, 3733, and 3600 in it, even with a 3700x.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp

Support for DDR4 5300(O.C.) / 5200(O.C.) / 5100(O.C.) / 4800(O.C.) / 4600(O.C.) / 4400(O.C.) / 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C) / 3400(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 2933 / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules

My board clearly states support for 3600. I have ran 3200, 3733, and 3600 in it, even with a 3700x.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp
Exactly the sort of marketing drivel I'm referring to....

"Support for DDR4 5300(O.C.) / 5200(O.C.) / 5100(O.C.) / 4800(O.C.) / 4600(O.C.) / 4400(O.C.) / 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C) / 3400(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 2933 / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules"

Firstly, note the final word "modules" at the end, meaning you can plug one in the board which is no big achievement.

OK, so maybe that's just some semantics that makes their legal team happy but there's more. The "(O.C.) following every speed above (in your case) 2933 means they consider it an overclock, so no guarantees. In your board's case actually using it at the rated DDR4 clock speed of a 3000 or 5000 series CPU is not something you should reliably expect because it's an overclock. That (O.C) effectively negates the word "support" at the beginning.

Last edited:
The QVL list, for my board, also has quite a few 3600 kits, and faster, listed, so it's not just marketing. That's the point that I am trying to make here. That B350 board doesn't show support, and the QVL backs that up. It's a gamble, not worth taking.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...ermeer.pdf?v=2433eba40efece5e72bb499177bd04f7
I'm not saying motherboard QVL's are useless since they at least offer a chance it might work, but they have their flaws too...

I'd like to think they buy a sufficient quantity of CPU's and memory kits and test every one fully and completely in production representative motherboards to be able to make a statistically valid assertion that a customer can be assured it will actually work for them. But in reality, I just can't imagine they do since the cost, and time, would be very high. While some might do more all it can be reasonably expected to mean is they tested a single DIMM in a synthetic test bench which returned some parameter values that make them happy.

And so the (O.C.) qualifier gets applied even for 3200, in your case, a speed the CPU's mfr confidently rates it for in their specs. And yet it was a gamble you felt worth taking.

Of course this is overclocking, which is always a gamble. Is any overclocking not worth the gamble? and just how much of a gamble is it? Not much because it's so commonly done, especially with 5000 CPU's. But buy it right and even the gamble can be mitigated to zero: pick a retailer with a robust return policy (Amazon Prime or Bestbuy for instance, Microcenter if one is close by). Secondly, buy a quality kit that's on AMD's QPL if you can find one.

Last edited:

farhanf44

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I think the OP has probably left. He's got his CPU upgrade. It worked as well as he'd hoped, which is fantastic. His ram is good enough to get by with. If he wants more he knows 3200mhz is a safe bet and 3600 is not guaranteed and possibly not even worth the trouble.

As for the arguments, it's silly. For Ryzen AM4 boards CPU memory controllers are more often than not the deciding factors for memory frequency.

Any Google search for "best Ryzen 5000 series memory" reveals threads, articles and videos that state the same thing. 3200mhz is a solid safe choice, 3600mhz is the next step for the enthusiast to try, but it's not guaranteed. Some people "gasp" may even go beyond 3600mhz. I know, it's like the world is literally falling apart.

It's all been stated multiple times by just about everyone involved in this thread. The arguments are really arguments about the same thing with differing positions..

Blatant personal attacks for no real reason. Staunch false information that B350 boards can't and won't run anything over 3200mhz... It's incredible that one person involved is so aggressively wrong. Holding onto a patently false position, with absolutely no advice for the OP, just proving the lack of knowledge about old AM4 motherboards paired with the most modern AM4 cpu's.

Oddly enough that same disruptive poster is also incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and patient just about any other thread I've seen him involved in.

I'll be leaving this thread, wishing the OP continued luck with his upgraded build.
I haven't left the chat 😄. I want to stop the argument but... Not sure what to do as I'm not really knowledgeable on the topic. Each person that argue has their own theory and backing, so I can only read and learn at this point. And thank you for all the information you've given me, it's very helpful

farhanf44

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I recommend getting a 16GB DDR4-3200 kit (2x8GB). That should work well in your system, and costs maybe 40 bucks right now in Europe. Think something like Corsair Vengeance LPX or G.Skill Aegis/Ripjaws V should work well as budget options. Prices for DDR4 in that speed class are currently dropping off a cliff, so I'm sure you can find something decent.
Right noted, I've sold my old CPU for 55 usd and I have enough fund to upgrade my RAM in few days 😁 it's pretty fun, changing your parts with new parts and selling the old parts... Then the money can be recycled to buy new parts... It's like playing old rpg game 😆