Opinions on 4K monitor for programming purposes - Dell U2718Q?!

MinimalTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Hi. I am considering of buying the Dell UltraSharp U2718Q monitor aiming to use it only for computer programming (Windows software development) plus for some light graphic design (in Web Design\Web Development sectors).

I want a monitor that would be exactly 27" in size (16:9 or 16:10) and to be IPS, 4K (to have ultra smooth text to read), Anti-glare, Flicker-Free (like EIZO monitors) plus to support Low blue light modes for extensive reading/writing of code.

As about the two last characteristics, there is not a reference anywhere in Dell's tech specs... Does this monitor lacks of these characteristics?

Also note about HDR, I don't mind it at all (I will have it turned off).

I read a review here that writes on page 5 that this monitor has issues with Colour and Luminance uniformity (fair amount of colour variance, brightness isn't perfectly consistent, e.t.c. ...) thus I have a question:

Am I going to have troubles in graphics design and some (very light) photo editing purposes? Am I going to have troubles in reading / writing of text (eye fatigue)?

Generally, do you recommend this monitor for my case?

Do you have other suggestions with the above characteristics for my case?

My budget is at most EUR500-600 (that is $580-700).

MinimalTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014

@camieabz, thank you for your reply! I think you have done a mistake about the model... The model I want to buy is the U2718Q, not the UP2718Q! So the review you provide is for an another model (richer model by the way)....

But, instead of Dell, what do you propose for programming at 27 inches? And one more question, do you propose a QHD or a 4K in this size?

By 'programming' I take it you mean coding / staring at small text for hours on end? I would suggest you consider screen resolution to monitor size first and foremost. The last thing you want is tiny text due to increased resolution, due to larger monitor(s).

If I go to 27" for vids / gaming in future, I'll be keeping my 24" 1920 x 1200 (16:10) Dell monitor for browsing, coding, spreadsheets, but rotating it into portrait mode. As for the QHD / 4K question, no idea. My usage is 1080p vids / gaming and below.

MinimalTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014

Yes this is what I mean by the word programming! See the example in the photo below:

inventory-code%20(2).jpg

There are some opinions saying that the 4K in 27 inches makes the text more smoother and more cleaner (more well typed by the monitor), thus, someone can read it (and keep reading it) more effortlessly for plenty of hours without being have headaches or pain in the eyes...

But you are right, the 4K might make the text very small to read it... On the other hand someone can use the scale functionality of Windows 10...

I am stuck! I can't decide..

There is always the QHD resolution (2560 × 1440) as a choice... :/