[SOLVED] Opinions on my first PC for gaming

Apr 9, 2020
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions and advice about what I just bought.
Some help on things I still might need to build my first gaming PC.
I'm just starting into PC gaming coming from console gaming my whole life.
I'm going to pretty much list everything I just bought, and maybe you guys could help if there is still more I need to buy, or advice putting my first build together.
I'm still hoping it all goes together pretty smooth since I've tried to do as much research as I could in the recent days.

Case: Corsair Z275R airflow tempered glass midtower case
Also bought some EZDIY fab 120mm white led Fans

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core, 12 thread with wraith stealth cooler
- Kryonaut Grizzly thermal paste

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 ti OC 6g, 2x windforce fans

MOBO: ASUS Tuf B450m pro gaming AMD Ryzen3 AM4 DDR4
-extra m.2 screws w/ standoffs & spacers & heatsink

PSU: Corsair CV series CV550w 80 plus Bronze

Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb (2 x 8gb)
288 pin DDR4 3000 PC4 24000

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo plus 250gb
( Plan to get another 1tb SSD and a 2 TB HDD )

Mouse: Corsair Glaive wired mouse
Keyboard: Corsair G55 RGB

If there's anything i missed that I will need,
or anything that just won't work together, please let me know.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited:
Solution
What do you think about the
Corsair AX1200i Fully Modular ATX 1200 Watt Power Supply PSU 80+ Platinum

I found an open box one for sale on eBay for $90, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews elsewhere.

I guess for $90 it might be worth the chance.
It can't be that bad.
I would be suspicious of it. If the power supply were in good condition, why would someone be getting rid of a $400 PSU at a quarter the price?

Also, even high-end enthusiast systems don't actually need a 1200 watt PSU. That would be overkill for just about any system. I would be surprised if the components listed in your build ever drew more than 300 watts. A quality 550 to 650 watt PSU would undoubtedly be fine.
GPU: Get a GTX 1660 Super. Unless you are getting a really good deal on a normal 1660 you are losing quite a bit of performance.

Mobo: Make sure that the seller specifically indicates that the board support Ryzen 3000, if not you can get an out of date BIOS and you will either have to find someone with a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU to borrow, pay a computer store to up the BIOS, or send away for AMDs loaner CPU https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

PSU: Get a Corsair CX or CXm over the CV model. Or better yet get a better tier PSU like the Corsair TXm or RXm

RAM: You can get much cheaper and just as good RAM
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jB...-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc

GPU: Get a GTX 1660 Super. Unless you are getting a really good deal on a normal 1660 you are losing quite a bit of performance.
I wouldn't say they would be missing out on a "lot" of performance with a regular 1660. The SUPER version is only around 10% faster on average. Also, they wrote "GTX 1660 to OC 6g" and it's possible that's a typo for the "Ti" version, which tends to be around 5% or so faster than the SUPER. It also sounds like they already bought the parts, so trading things around at this point might be more bother than it's worth.

While that motherboard appears to have come out a few months before the Ryzen 3000 series launched, they seem to advertised 3rd-gen Ryzen support on its product pages, and user reviews seem to indicate that its shipping with a compatible BIOS installed, so that's probably not a problem. If you have the board, you might want to verify that there's a label on the box advertising Ryzen 3000 support though, otherwise you might potentially need access to a prior Ryzen CPU to perform a BIOS update with.

In any case, the build looks pretty good, in my opinion.

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did already purchase this stuff, but if something doesn't work well together I would have no problem returning it.

I did have a typo, and I did get the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 ti overclocked edition.

The one thing I was worried about and was indecisive about was the motherboard. If I had to return it and throw another $20 or $30 into one I could, but I was not sure which one to get.

I kept going back and forth between a few different ones.

I did find some info on the Asus website about what it supports. And about bios Here is the link.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I got a pretty good deal on the dominator Platinum, I only paid $79 for an open box, but never used.
That's the only reason I went with those besides the fact that they will fit my color scheme and they look so great.
For that price I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did already purchase this stuff, but if something doesn't work well together I would have no problem returning it.

I did have a typo, and I did get the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 ti overclocked edition.

The one thing I was worried about and was indecisive about was the motherboard. If I had to return it and throw another $20 or $30 into one I could, but I was not sure which one to get.

I kept going back and forth between a few different ones.

I did find some info on the Asus website about what it supports. And about bios Here is the link.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Try out the CPU and if it doesn't work you can either send it back or send away fro the AMD loaner CPU. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

I would strongly suggest returning the power supply you picked though and get a CX or CXm. The CV is basically a rebranded VS which was a pretty bad PSU.

Apr 9, 2020

I found an open box one for sale on eBay for $90, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews elsewhere.

It can't be that bad.

It can't be that bad.

The AX is a great PSU. 1200 watts is def overkill for your system but at 90 bucks it's better then anything else at that price point so I would say go for it as long as it's a reputable seller.

It can't be that bad.
I would be suspicious of it. If the power supply were in good condition, why would someone be getting rid of a $400 PSU at a quarter the price?

Also, even high-end enthusiast systems don't actually need a 1200 watt PSU. That would be overkill for just about any system. I would be surprised if the components listed in your build ever drew more than 300 watts. A quality 550 to 650 watt PSU would undoubtedly be fine.

Solution