Question Opinions on the 2 coolers

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
Ok so I'm replacing my current h100i aio cooler from corsair because it is not doing its job cooling my 100c cpu. I've got options but I don't know what to pick. I have a I5 7600k. Artic Freezer 34 esports duo cooler, Be quiet dark rock 4,Cooler master hyper 212 black edition and rgb, and Coolermaster mA620P. Im switching to aircooling because one they can work as efficent has an aio, two much quieter (depends), three they're easy to repair.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your case? If an AIO is not able to keep that processor cool, it's either clogged up(both the vents and in terms of airflow) or that the orientation of the AIO isn't proper or that the thermal paste needs replacing. Also, have you tried working with the innards while breadboarded to see if the AIO isn't compromised?

Reactions: RodroX
The h100i should be a beast in regards of cooling such a "basic" cpu like the Core i5 7600K. Even if you are overcloking it.

So if you are having temp issues is either because the pump died, and/or the cold plate is no making good contact with the CPU, and/or the radiator is full of crap and does not allow the air to flow through it (but this alone should not make your CPU run to 100°C) and/or some of the AIOcables got disconnected (perhaps the pump one).

How old is this h100i? AIO, like many other components, are not made to last forvever.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
What is the make and model of your case? If an AIO is not able to keep that processor cool, it's either clogged up(both the vents and in terms of airflow) or that the orientation of the AIO isn't proper or that the thermal paste needs replacing. Also, have you tried working with the innards while breadboarded to see if the AIO isn't compromised?
Well I have a MSI Gungir 111r and no my case isn't resulting exhaust air it has heaps of air flowing out. My H100I is faulty.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
The h100i should be a beast in regards of cooling such a "basic" cpu like the Core i5 7600K. Even if you are overcloking it.

So if you are having temp issues is either because the pump died, and/or the cold plate is no making good contact with the CPU, and/or the radiator is full of crap and does not allow the air to flow through it (but this alone should not make your CPU run to 100°C) and/or some of the AIOcables got disconnected (perhaps the pump one).

How old is this h100i? AIO, like many other components, are not made to last forvever.
The previous owner said that it was like a couple years old

The previous owner said that it was like a couple years old

Yeah, unless something is wrong with the installation and/or cables, and with a couple of years old, I think getting an aircooler is indeed the right step.

SkyNetRising listed the best ones but before you buy anything, be sure they fit (it seems you have enough height 170mm according to MSI page https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/pcc/global/MPG-GUNGNIR-111R.pdf) and that they don't collide with your RAM and/or motherboard heatsink.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
Yeah, unless something is wrong with the installation and/or cables, and with a couple of years old, I think getting an aircooler is indeed the right step.

SkyNetRising listed the best ones but before you buy anything, be sure they fit (it seems you have enough height 170mm according to MSI page https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/pcc/global/MPG-GUNGNIR-111R.pdf) and that they don't collide with your RAM and/or motherboard heatsink.
Yeah they all fit my case. I just dont know which one to buy.

Have you pounded the net for reviews of the top candidates at your anticipated load levels and circumstances?

It you are not pushing the CPU extremely hard for extended periods, cooler choice may not matter.

Are you highly sensitive to a temperature difference of say 5 degrees?

Are you at all concerned with noise levels? If so, that may be a factor and you may want to replace the included fan.

Your choice may come down to factors like ease of mounting, cost, return privileges from the vendor, looks, etc.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
Have you pounded the net for reviews of the top candidates at your anticipated load levels and circumstances?

It you are not pushing the CPU extremely hard for extended periods, cooler choice may not matter.

Are you highly sensitive to a temperature difference of say 5 degrees?

Are you at all concerned with noise levels? If so, that may be a factor and you may want to replace the included fan.

Your choice may come down to factors like ease of mounting, cost, return privileges from the vendor, looks, etc.
No I don't rlly care about noise but I am about temperature.

Are you overclocking the i5 7600K?

If you are OC the Core i5 then one of the two coolers that SkyNetRising posted (beQuiet dark rock 4 or Coolermaster mA620P) are the ones you should get.

If you are using the Core i5 7600K at stock settings, then the Artic Freezer 34 esport duo, or the CM Hyper 212 Black should be more than enough to keep it cool.

Be sure to carefully read the instructions for each cooler, and/or watch tutorials on internet on how to install them if you have any doubts.

Keep in mind, specially when using air coolers (any of them), is very important that you have a correct (decent) airflow inside your case (either be positive or negative preasure). If you want you can share with us a few pictures (imgur) of the PC case internals and explain how are the case fans located.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022

If you are OC the Core i5 then one of the two coolers that SkyNetRising posted (beQuiet dark rock 4 or Coolermaster mA620P) are the ones you should get.

If you are using the Core i5 7600K at stock settings, then the Artic Freezer 34 esport duo, or the CM Hyper 212 Black should be more than enough to keep it cool.

Be sure to carefully read the instructions for each cooler, and/or watch tutorials on internet on how to install them if you have any doubts.

Keep in mind, specially when using air coolers (any of them), is very important that you have a correct (decent) airflow inside your case (either be positive or negative preasure). If you want you can share with us a few pictures (imgur) of the PC case internals and explain how are the case fans located.
No I am definitley not Overclocking. I resetted the bios in my asus prime and now everything is I guess stock I think. My cpu is overheating ever since I got it from the previous buyer.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
M

My case has heaps of air flow, it has 3 factory fans in the front 1 for the back and opening at the top for a 240mm radiator.

No I am definitley not Overclocking. I resetted the bios in my asus prime and now everything is I guess stock I think. My cpu is overheating ever since I got it from the previous buyer.
M

My case has heaps of air flow, it has 3 factory fans in the front 1 for the back and opening at the top for a 240mm radiator.

Then this coolers should be good enough.

Yeah I've got the air flow but the thing is though I don't know which cooler to get.

You are overthinking it, even a cheap cooler like the Snowman 120mm, or a more know budget brand like Deepcool Gammaxx GTE v2 should keep your i5 7600K cool.

And yes the big Dark Rock Pro 4 should be enough to even cool a powerfull last gen Core i5 12600K which has 6 P Cores + 4 E cores and 16 threads.

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
You are overthinking it, even a cheap cooler like the Snowman 120mm, or a more know budget brand like Deepcool Gammaxx GTE v2 should keep your i5 7600K cool.

And yes the big Dark Rock Pro 4 should be enough to even cool a powerfull last gen Core i5 12600K which has 6 P Cores + 4 E cores and 16 threads.
Ok thanks. I've seen the prices on the coolers and I'll probably go with the artic cooler 34 esports. I'm not really great with computers as in hardware and components so I'm just generally scared that I might be doing something wrong or forgetting something that is important.