(Opinon) Tom's Hardware Used to Have Better Articles

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'll start off by reiterating that this is an opinion thread and I mean no disrespect to any writers or to the Tom's Hardware team in general.

I feel like the quality of articles on Tom's Hardware has taken a nosedive over the past couple years. There's less technology deep diving and more regurgitating content from other news sources (and adding very little to it). That, and an ungodly amount of affiliate links on everything. Which is fine - I get it. The site needs to turn a profit. But it's to the point where it makes the site feel cheapened.

Anyway, this is just my two cents. I don't mean any offense to anyone - just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else felt the same way :)

Do believe the site has changed hands recently but tbh I don't trust anything on here anymore after the whole RTX thing:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,news-59055.html

Bearing in mind this article was written (By the editor in chief) a month in advance of the cards launching. Without seeing RTX for themselves (Kinda funny how the support for it really hasn't turned up yet nearly a year after release) without seeing performance numbers etc where we found out the 2080 was barely faster than the 1080Ti for the same price and the 2080Ti, which was the only card worth upgrading to if you were on a 1080 or 1080Ti if you didn't have a passion for murdering your bank account, was over a grand and the Titan had gone up in price by over a grand too! so instead of getting a decent performance bump you got a feature that's not really been used, negligible performance gains and a rather hefty price bump. Then you have these "Journalists" at toms hardware saying just to buy into emerging tech that may or may not be any good because spending money wisely is a bad idea. Rather than the sensible advice pretty much everyone else gave which was not to buy until you see benchmarks from people who aren't Nvidia and not to buy just for RT because we don't know when it's gonna be worth it amp by that time the 2000 series will be outdated and won't be able to run it properly.

Bit of a rant about a year old article but still, the journalism on this site has truly gone down the toilet and the only value left here would be the forum and the people on here looking to discuss topics honestly and helping those who are lost or new to PC building for example. I know it's helped me avoid stupid mistakes before and I hope I've helped others to do the same.

Reactions: Urzu1000

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Yep, 100% agree. I used to enjoy visiting the site multiple times during my work day and reading new articles, but I find myself doing that less and less as the months/years roll by.