Optane and DRAM best options

Sep 6, 2018
I want to choose between 3options. 1: Pavilion HP desktop i58400 1tb HDD, 16 GIG Optane with 8 gig DRAM. 2: same computer with 16 GIG Optane with 16 GIG dram. 3: same computer with 16 gig DRAM. Using in small church to record and edit audio, to import and edit video and run a monitor and projector. And normal record keeping. Salesman told me Optane is ram. Found this isn't true.

Solution

It would be better to start with 16GB RAM, if thats what you want to end up with.
And skip the Optane.
Optane just bridges between RAM and disk to cache data better. It's not inherently good or bad; rather it will have situations where it can improve speeds, but for many it won't make a huge difference.

You would get far more value for money with 16GB of RAM and a top notch M.2 SSD.

There's an argument for Optane plus HDD, but there's an equal argument for SSD plus HDD.

Sep 6, 2018

Sep 6, 2018
I have already got the cumputer with Optane + 8 gig. The only options I want is the three I listed. It wasn't until I got it Home that I found out that Optane is not ram. I did alot of internet research on it and Optane does benifit when using HDD. My options are to keep it as is, add another 8 gig dram (some said that if you have 16 gig dram Optane is pointless. Or third option is to return cumputer and exchange it for the one with only 16gig dram

Generally more RAM is better, but if you're not using in excess of 8GB of RAM (i.e. utilising caches a lot), there's little point in adding to it. The same goes for the Optane really.

You'll need to monitor your system resources and decide if your RAM or Optane is being fully utilised, and making the call.

USAFRet

Titan

In that use, the Optane is pretty much useless.

It is not a subsitute for RAM...it is a high speed cache for the HDD. Since you're not working with the same blocks of data all the time, it won't make any real difference.

Sep 6, 2018

Sep 6, 2018
So it be most efficient to keep what I got as 8 gig DRAM is sufficient for now I'm sure, but later on if I need more dram I can just add another 8 gig stick. Would you agree?

USAFRet

Titan

It would be better to start with 16GB RAM, if thats what you want to end up with.
And skip the Optane.

Solution