Question Optane laptop data recovery

shuvool

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I've got an HP Spectre with a 10th gen i7 that came with an NVMe + Optane setup for storage. Recently the board seems to have failed. I tried resetting CMOS, but nothing changed. When I try to power it on, the charge light stays steady for about 10 seconds, then turns off for about 3 or 4 seconds and then goes back to steady orange, and repeat. The screen stays black throughout this. I want to keep the data from this laptop, but when I pulled the drive, I noticed the drive says Optane on it. When I try to read the drive on another computer, it assigns the volume a label but says it's raw and the error windows I get when trying to open the drive in File Explorer say it's unreadable. Do I have any options for recovering the data from this drive? Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
There are (were) 2 drives in this.
The NVMe, and an Optane thing.

This could have been configured from the factory in several different ways.
The most likely is that the Optane module was simply a cache, and of no consequence as to having recoverable data on it.

What size is this Optane thing?
16GB, 32GB, something else?

shuvool

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
There are (were) 2 drives in this.
The NVMe, and an Optane thing.

This could have been configured from the factory in several different ways.
The most likely is that the Optane module was simply a cache, and of no consequence as to having recoverable data on it.

What size is this Optane thing?
16GB, 32GB, something else?
1TB NAND and 32GB Optane is what it says on the sticker on the m.2 drive itself

Aug 15, 2023
I've got an HP Spectre with a 10th gen i7 that came with an NVMe + Optane setup for storage. Recently the board seems to have failed. I tried resetting CMOS, but nothing changed. When I try to power it on, the charge light stays steady for about 10 seconds, then turns off for about 3 or 4 seconds and then goes back to steady orange, and repeat. The screen stays black throughout this. I want to keep the data from this laptop, but when I pulled the drive, I noticed the drive says Optane on it. When I try to read the drive on another computer, it assigns the volume a label but says it's raw and the error windows I get when trying to open the drive in File Explorer say it's unreadable. Do I have any options for recovering the data from this drive? Thanks in advance!
Hi , regarding this situation I found this : Optane requires a 7th generation or greater Intel motherboard. The Optane module may be integrated with the SSD (NVMe type) or a separate module resembling an NMVe SSD. Either way, once enabled, Optane is a RAID configuration of 2 drives appearing as one. To read the data, the motherboard must be configured in RST not AHCI mode, and Intel RST/Optane software must be installed. For your laptop you can try disconnect battery, bios battery, power source , and try press power for 15 sec , to drain out curent after that try to Conect only power and see if the motherboard start , if not you can go in a service and with proper configuration they be able to see you HDD in order to recover data , or also you can contact HP in order to provide you with the correct procedure in this case.

TRENDING THREADS