[SOLVED] optane with 256ssd vs. 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Dec 8, 2019
I am configuring a new HP laptop= Intel i7-1065G. I have a choice for storage of .....256 GB Intel SSD + 16 GB Intel Optane or 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (both are same price). Which would you choose and why?

Solution
Go for NVMe SSD. Optane is meant to boost HDD drives. You will not see any performance boost with the SSD + optane.

NVMe SSD will actually give you a performance boost above conventional SATA SSD.

Technical reasoning:
Optane just acts as a middleman, as in data is stored into the optane module before it's pushed into the SSD. Which is why it's only better for HDD. The speed of the optane is not any faster than the speed of the SSD already is. If the SSD was an HDD however, then you'd technically have an HDD with SSD speeds.
Go for NVMe SSD. Optane is meant to boost HDD drives. You will not see any performance boost with the SSD + optane.

NVMe SSD will actually give you a performance boost above conventional SATA SSD.

Technical reasoning:
Optane just acts as a middleman, as in data is stored into the optane module before it's pushed into the SSD. Which is why it's only better for HDD. The speed of the optane is not any faster than the speed of the SSD already is. If the SSD was an HDD however, then you'd technically have an HDD with SSD speeds.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Optane is much faster then any Sata SSD. It's even faster then most NVME drives but only in the 4k Random read/writes that slow drives down. Otherwise it's just a mediocre nvme drive. And Sata SSD to NVME SSD is difficult to notice any performance increase from the user experience. For example, Windows typically boots 1 or 2 seconds faster from an NVME drive.

https://storagereview.com/intel_optane_memory_review <Scroll down to the 4k section.

IMO, Optane caching a Sata SSD is a waste of an M2 slot; it's better to have a real NVME drive and save your Sata port for a large secondary drive.

Dec 8, 2019
Thank you. BUT...... Sata SSD was never considered in the original question.
Intel SSD + 16 GB Intel Optane or 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD are the only choices I have. Either one uses the M.2 slot. I dont think this laptop even has a space for a sata ssd. I believe it only comes with the one M.2 slot.
Im pretty sure the Intel SSD + 16 GB Intel Optane are combined on the same card.