Opterons: 12-core in 2010, 16-core in 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]goryachev[/nom]isn't rendering 3d is more applicable for a strong graphic card? Like quadro?[/citation]
Actually a lot of rendering is done in software modus. At least in many autodesk products. So a fast cpu is often better than a fast graphics card. The graphics card is crucial for realtime rendering (while working with whatever it is you do) but isn't always being utilized fully during rendering.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]goryachev[/nom]isn't rendering 3d is more applicable for a strong graphic card? Like quadro?[/citation]
you can`t run a car with only the engine or the gear box , you must have them bouth. hope this answered your question mark

This is great news for servers. I'm just worried that AMD and Intel is handing over there PC market shares to a much more powerful dual core Via in the short future. A dual core taking full advantage of the 32nm node could easily shake up the industry. Gamers have seen little performance improvement since the core 2 duo back in 2006. Software infancy is being over looked by both these company's. I suggest they both look at a 8GHz dual core on the 32nm which can be transitioned to a quad on 22nm.

[citation][nom]moonblood[/nom]Euh shouldn't the emphasis be on making programs and games actually use 4 cores instead of jumping to 16? Not to mention making everything 64 bit and optimizing it.[/citation]
Remember that Opterons are for the server market where more cores, more threads, and scalability is the emphasis. VM's love more cores. Heck with 1 quad core processore, you can have your email server, print server, NAS, and firewall all running in VM's in the same box; let alone what a datacenter or cloud could do with 12 and 16 cores.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
It definitely seems to be nowadays, more of a core-race than an architecture race.

Are these processors really going to be Next-gen, with more cores? Sure some of us on these boards use applications suited for multi-threading and multi-cores, but how about a new processor that just dominates the previous model, all around AND with a few more cores?

Is everyone excited to upgrade your server!! :) ... I didn't think so, The cost of these processors and the fact that they are made for servers makes this article unappealing to me. Tell me when these babies hit the desktop market.

G

It seems that the CPU is heading the way of the GPU instead of multiple shaders its multiple cores, gotta love technology. Just jumped into VM's and gotta tell you I'm addicted and am looking forward to 6+ cores.

G

Most enterprises are heavily virtualizing all of their application servers, applications that have extremely heavy load usually get their own hardware, but for the ones that have low utilization, you could potentially consolidate dozens of server blades onto a single 4p blade. This is absolutely the right product at the right time. And plenty of applications use more than 1-2 cores, if all you do is play games and surf the internet, that's not you, but it's definitely someone else.

kschoche

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Almost everyone here is missing the point of the market for manycore x86 systems, its great for webserving and virtualization, and probably not just for one user, but for example a server which hosts 10-16 people's websites..

Status
Not open for further replies.