Question Optic fiber packet loss?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
This is a bit more problematic.

So first your jitter is actually very low. You compare the average to the minimum and maximum. You are much closer to the minimum number so your jitter is very low. You get some very random high spikes that likely will cause you little problems. The max is still only about 100ms. If you get a lot of them it will be detectable but in general there is so much random stuff in games you will not see a spike here and there.

The larger problem is you are still seeing packet loss. You pretty much ignore hop 3 since hop 4 does not show a issue. You would have to collect more data to be sure.

What this one show is likely a problem with the connection between your ISP and google. Google technically is a ISP because of how large they are. It is hard to say who owns what equipment and what agreements there are for traffic. You are never going to find this.

Maybe try 1.1.1.1 instead and see what you see. 1.1.1.1 is cloudflare dns.

In general you can't really fix issue this far into the network. In effect you need to get a different ISP that has better connection to other ISP. Not a realistic option for most people. Another version of getting a different ISP is to use a VPN service. This is extremely hit and miss. For a vpn to "fix?" a issue like this you need a path to the VPN server inside your ISP that has no problem AND then the VPN service must have a path to the sites you want to access that is better than your ISP. No way to predict if this will work other than trial and error. The best vpn services to consider are ones that market to gamers. These ISP have purchased private connections to the data centers that some of the major game companies host their server in. This means for that limited set of games/servers these ISP can have better performance.

A vpn really is grasping at straws. It is more used in say asia where many ISP do not pay for direct access to undersea fibers that say run to the EU or the USA where many game servers are hosted. It does in some cases work for other users but it there are no guarantees.
Thank you very much once again.

Before they put me under cgnat I didn't have bursts of packet loss and network problem appearing that often and game been feeling laggier ever since.
I used to drop a few packets here and there but game did not feel that bad, on the other hand I wasn't on prime time that game and maybe that has to do with it.

I'll ask them to put me on the previous settings/ip/dns I was on and I'll try a vpn either way and see if I get lucky or not.

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
This is a bit more problematic.

So first your jitter is actually very low. You compare the average to the minimum and maximum. You are much closer to the minimum number so your jitter is very low. You get some very random high spikes that likely will cause you little problems. The max is still only about 100ms. If you get a lot of them it will be detectable but in general there is so much random stuff in games you will not see a spike here and there.

The larger problem is you are still seeing packet loss. You pretty much ignore hop 3 since hop 4 does not show a issue. You would have to collect more data to be sure.

What this one show is likely a problem with the connection between your ISP and google. Google technically is a ISP because of how large they are. It is hard to say who owns what equipment and what agreements there are for traffic. You are never going to find this.

Maybe try 1.1.1.1 instead and see what you see. 1.1.1.1 is cloudflare dns.

In general you can't really fix issue this far into the network. In effect you need to get a different ISP that has better connection to other ISP. Not a realistic option for most people. Another version of getting a different ISP is to use a VPN service. This is extremely hit and miss. For a vpn to "fix?" a issue like this you need a path to the VPN server inside your ISP that has no problem AND then the VPN service must have a path to the sites you want to access that is better than your ISP. No way to predict if this will work other than trial and error. The best vpn services to consider are ones that market to gamers. These ISP have purchased private connections to the data centers that some of the major game companies host their server in. This means for that limited set of games/servers these ISP can have better performance.

A vpn really is grasping at straws. It is more used in say asia where many ISP do not pay for direct access to undersea fibers that say run to the EU or the USA where many game servers are hosted. It does in some cases work for other users but it there are no guarantees.
So basically riot told me that my ISP's routing to their servers is bad and I should send them their peeringdb so they can contact them directly(which I did).
Hope they can work it out and resolve it.

They likely sitting their meeting rooms laughing at you if there even read it.

Lots and lots of lawyers and money involved in agreements on how traffic passes between different ISP and companies.

In the end the money you pay them for years of service will not cover the costs of them even thinking about changing how they connect to riot. They likely do not have a direct connection anyway since that would mean riot would have purchased ISP services directly from them. The game companies do pay to have direct connections to multiple ISP but it is not likely they have one to your ISP.

What is much more likely is they have some router or connection that is overloaded near your house in their network or maybe as it connects to another ISP. They likely know they have a capacity issue and have scheduled some kind of upgrade. Could take quite a bit of time for them to do this. They might have to say get permits from the city to run fibers under the streets. The ISP will never admit or explain their business decisions like this especially to a end home users. If you were a big corporate customer who pays millions of dollars a year maybe they would think about talking to you.

In the end you only real option is likely to consider VPN unless you can get a different ISP connection to your house.

TRENDING THREADS