Optical Disc Drive - Anyway To Make It Play Audio?

McKennan McCall

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I've got this sorta dated DVD ROM player from an older computer. I've got a power supply. I'm trying to tinker around a bit and make a CD player, but it would seem my drive isn't old enough to do that, considering I need a headphone jack in the front panel. Are there any SATA to audio jack type adapters out there? Anything I can do?

Solution
SATA is a data transfer standard. Even if you pulled the sound file from the CD over SATA you would have to then have a computer to work with that information to turn it into listenable audio. So in short, a DVD ROM and a power supply are not enough. You would need a full computer or at least some knowledge on how to get a DVD ROM to work with a Raspberry Pi or something.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
SATA is a data transfer standard. Even if you pulled the sound file from the CD over SATA you would have to then have a computer to work with that information to turn it into listenable audio. So in short, a DVD ROM and a power supply are not enough. You would need a full computer or at least some knowledge on how to get a DVD ROM to work with a Raspberry Pi or something.

Solution