[SOLVED] Optical drive not working in fresh build.

Lord Solon

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Hi,

I recently finished building a new pc and have noticed my optical drive does not read any discs. I have an old drive, a Pioneer BDR-205 so first suggestion might be to just go and get a new one but the drive works fine - it worked before I took it out of my old pc, it gets detected in the bios of new pc, Win 10 can see the drive and the drive appears in device manager. Clicking on the drive in device manager and then selecting properties the drive reports that there are no conflicts and it is working properly. However whenever I put a disc in, it does the initial spin up but doesn't actually access anything and causes explorer to become unresponsive. If I then try and shutdown or restart it hangs on the shutdown screen saying that My PC is causing the delay. Force shutdown does not work and I have to hold down the power button to turn it off.

When I first noticed it wasn't reading discs I saw that it's region wasn't set to anything. Region had been set to 4 on my old pc so I thought maybe because this is a totally new build it got reset. Setting it to region 4 again didn't help. I have an Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wi-fi mobo with a Ryzen 7 3800X cpu so I'm stuck with the win 10 sata/acpi controller drivers dated from 2006. Apparently AMD doesn't provide newer sata drivers for AM4 boards and relies on the standard Win 10 one? Next I tried plugging into two different sata ports and also trying it on it's own as Windows boots from an M.2 drive and still no luck. I've tried uninstalling the drive from device manager, scanning for hardware changes then checking it again and it won't work. As a final test I tried to boot from my old Win 7 install disc and it was able to read and access the disc until windows tried to take over causing my system to hang. I also tried the upper/lower filter registry edit with no results.

I'm able to see the drive in My PC and I'm able to open and close it using the right click menu. I put my old Starcraft disc in and after waiting a few mins the starcraft icon showed up and it can see how much data is on the disc but no autoplay and if I tried double clicking on the drive MY PC would become unresponsive sometimes causing explorer to crash. I do vaguely remember something like this happening when I first installed the drive on my old pc but can't remember what the fix was. I only have sata 3 ports on my mobo and also have a Crucial MX500 SSD connected. Could that somehow be causing an issue? Disconnecting the SSD and having only the ODD hooked up didn't help.

I built two other pc's at the same time using ODD's from circa 2010 and they both work fine. Any ideas?

Lord Solon

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
So I tried every possible solution the internet had to offer over the last 2 days and still no joy. I decided to swap the BDR-205 with a DVD drive from one of the other pc's I built and both work fine. I'm just going to be happy with that but at the end of the day I can't figure out why a 10 year old BDR drive was not compatible with the Asus TUF Gaming X570 mobo but worked fine on an MSI B450M pro M2 Max with both being AM4 boards.

Solution