[SOLVED] Optimal allocation unit size for win10 boot partition?

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I'm creating a partition so I can have the windows 10 install on-demand when I need it, not sure why I didn't think of this before. The question of the allocation unit size popped up in my head when I was getting ready to create the partition. Since the number and size of files on it will always the same, if I take the size on disk (4,285,284,352‬ bytes), divide that by the number of files (944), would that be the optimal allocation unit size? (4,539,496 bytes, but the max option is 2M)

Solution
Let me take a stab at this. The size of a Windows partition really depends on how much you want to install in it. The minimum size for the 32 bit partition is 16 GB and for a 64 bit partition 20 GB. Those aren't really practical numbers though, so I'd recommend at least a 40 or 50 GB partition and maybe a 100 GB partition if you plan to do practical real world work with it.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Having it on a partition on that same HDD or SSD is useless.
How will you use that in the case of a dead drive?

In addition, that Windows install partition needs to be FAT32.

Just put it on a USB stick.
If my drive dies then not having a boot partition is the least of my concerns lol. And I have 3 drives to choose from. And this whole issue started from not having any blank media or usb sticks, I'm not about to go full circle lol...I did an install from my phone but would rather just have the image /install software on-demand. And ooh, FAT32? Haven't used that in a while, what would happen if I did NTFS? Cause that's what the image was in order for the computer to see my phone as a bootable usb storage, UEFI NTFS

Edit: was jsut going off of what https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...ll-windows-directly-from-the-hard-disk-drive/ said as well

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
What are you planning to use this for?

Boot from it and a potential reinstall if needed?
What are you planning to use this for?

Boot from it and a potential reinstall if needed?

Yep, that way I can do a clean install quickly and easily right there when I need to. The whole allocation unit size that this post is about is nothing more than a curiousity but I'm waiting for an answer so I can hurry up and reinstall windows grrr

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I think debating on what medium I make a windows install image/partition on is more of a hassle than just going into if my method on figuring out the best allocation size for a fixed/static number and size of files is correct or not ;P

Edit: Nor does it make a usb drive magically appear in my lap lol

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Yes I know, but it might teach me something, no matter how small, if taking 2 fixed variables and getting the average file size is a good wway to detemrine the allocation unit size or not.

Would not simply imaging the entire install (OS and apps/data) semi-regularly to a $50 USB external hard drive or SSD in an enclosure) back up your data, and, save you the time of reinstalling all of your assorted applications?

Installing Win10 from USB flash drive to a good SSD takes 5 minutes these days; having to go download/reinstall all your apps will typically take far longer. And, if your drive fails, all is gone anyway.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
No, I'm also researching.
And not seeing that there is any "optimal", other than the standard FAT32, and let it do what it needs.

What parameters would you consider "optimal"?

Don't get lost in researching, it's too easy to do ha...and well, I read that basically if most of your files are bigger than your cluster/unit size, then you lose space, but lots of small files in a large cluster loses more space. Although larger cluster sizes reduce fragmentation and improves r/w speeds. So it would seem, very basically, that getting an average file size would give you the best slack space vs performance? Of course assuming that the files never were added or deleted or changed size.

Let me take a stab at this. The size of a Windows partition really depends on how much you want to install in it. The minimum size for the 32 bit partition is 16 GB and for a 64 bit partition 20 GB. Those aren't really practical numbers though, so I'd recommend at least a 40 or 50 GB partition and maybe a 100 GB partition if you plan to do practical real world work with it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Don't get lost in researching, it's too easy to do ha...and well, I read that basically if most of your files are bigger than your cluster/unit size, then you lose space, but lots of small files in a large cluster loses more space. Although larger cluster sizes reduce fragmentation and improves r/w speeds. So it would seem, very basically, that getting an average file size would give you the best slack space vs performance? Of course assuming that the files never were added or deleted or changed size.
What you do with "your files" is entirely different than what you do for a Windows install.

USAFRet

Titan
What he's asking is different.

Not the recommended partition size for a Windows install, but the "optimal" allocation size unit for the files used to install windows.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Would not simply imaging the entire install (OS and apps/data) semi-regularly to a $50 USB external hard drive or SSD in an enclosure) back up your data, and, save you the time of reinstalling all of your assorted applications?

Installing Win10 from USB flash drive to a good SSD takes 5 minutes these days; having to go download/reinstall all your apps will typically take far longer. And, if your drive fails, all is gone anyway.

I've thought about that actually, since I do it to my phone sometimes. Although there oddly seems to be fun in the chaotic madness of figuring out what needs to be reinstalled, and creating more half sorted files that adds to the other folders that need to be sorted lol. Plus that feeling of having a fresh install is like creating another character on a game you play ;p Although I do have the third drive which houses all my backups since 2004 ha, so at least drive to drive is faster than downloading, unless they need updates of course...

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
What you do with "your files" is entirely different than what you do for a Windows install.

Nono, i'm not trying to determine an allocation unit size for 'my files', i dont think the math would come out right, too many variables. A windows install is static, doesn't change, so naturually it would seem easier to get a more definite answer then a guess of ever fluctuating possibilities ;p

Edit: kinda like, having an install disc. It's static, it can't change, it's read only.

USAFRet

Titan
Nono, i'm not trying to determine an allocation unit size for 'my files', i dont think the math would come out right, too many variables. A windows install is static, doesn't change, so naturually it would seem easier to get a more definite answer then a guess of ever fluctuating possibilities ;p

Edit: kinda like, having an install disc. It's static, it can't change, it's read only.
Right.
And the "optimal" is whatever is created when you make that partition.
I can't visualize any benefit from changing that.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Right.
And the "optimal" is whatever is created when you make that partition.
I can't visualize any benefit from changing that.
Well minimizing space loss while maximizing read/write would be what consider optimal. Hardly worth it for just being an install, but it could be something to tinker with, I'm just gonna make the partition lol