Question Optimal BIOS settings for my RAM?

Jul 1, 2023
Mobo: Asus B450-f
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO C15 (4x8 sticks for a total of 32GB)
GPU: ROG Strix 2080

So I noticed my ram was running at somewhere around 2,400mhz when it's rated for 3,000mhz. So I went into BIOS and enabled DOCP.

My PC would not boot with those settings and it took me back into BIOS and said I needed to check my settings.

I kept underclocking the target RAM speed until it was about 2,700mhz before it would successfully boot. I have NOT changed the voltage settings as I am afraid I'll fry my ram (Or worse, the dimm slots).

I guess my question would be: What's the optimal settings I should have my ram at? I think I'm correct in understanding that my CPU isn't quite powerful enough to run my 4 sticks at their rated speed, but what's a safe range and voltage setting I should go with?

Lutfij

Titan
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO C15
Got a link to the ram kit you're using? Also, are you working with 4 identical sticks of ram? Corsair tends to have PCB revision numbers written on the side of the CB or their packaging to denote that they sourced different IC's for their ram sticks/kits.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Jul 1, 2023
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO C15
Got a link to the ram kit you're using? Also, are you working with 4 identical sticks of ram? Corsair tends to have PCB revision numbers written on the side of the CB or their packaging to denote that they sourced different IC's for their ram sticks/kits.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
Here's the RAM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1XJWSJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am not home right now so I cannot answer all of your questions unfortunately.

I did buy 2 kits at different times. And I updated my BIOS about a year ago.

I have remote access to my PC from my work PC, and I just opened CPU-Z and it's showing that my RAM is running at 1.350 V

Here's a link to my PSU
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4C39AR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*Edit
In CPU-Z it shows 2 sticks under the field that says "DRAM Manuif" as Samsung, and the other 2 say Micron Technology. But everything else is identical on all 4 slots.

Last edited:

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I'd try something like enable DOCP / XMP and try 16-18-18-36 @ 1.35V

If that doesn't work, maybe 18-18-18-38.

If that doesn't work, pull the 2 mcron and test at XMP and then pull the samsung and test the micron. You may only be able to run 2 sticks in A2/B2 slots.

Sounds like it's not a matched set which can cause issues.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Check to see if your motherboard has a bios update that addresses ram compatibility.
It might make things better.
Do not flash on just speculation.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if you have a motherboard that permits such settings.
If all else fails return the ram and buy an explicitly supported ram kit as shown in the motherboard ram qvl list:
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl/
or, by the Corsair ram selection app.

Just of note the memory controller on Zen+ isn't very good and you're using 4 memory modules so you might not be able to get anywhere near 2933 (what your CPU is rated at) let alone 3000. You might be able to get 2666, but I wouldn't bet on getting beyond the 2400 it was already running.

Reactions: CountMike
Jul 1, 2023
Well, I was wrong about the last time I updated the BIOS. Turns out it hasn't been updated since 2019. I did that, and re-enabled DOCP, and now my RAM is running at 2730. I did not try to see if 3000 would work. It might at this point but I'm not too worried about that small difference. I'd rather play it safe here. Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: Kona45primo