[SOLVED] Optimal build for liquid-cooled CPU and GPU with separate loops (2 x AIOs) ?

Sep 24, 2021
Hey comrades
I've got a chance to get SAPHIRE TOXIC rx6900xt for a reasonable price. As you probably know, it has its own liquidbased cooling system with 3x120 radiator.
For a CPU i have Ryzen 5800x with BeQuite dark rock pro4 on it. Temps are 40-50 C IDLE and up to 87 C in stresstest.
The only spot where i can mount GPUs radiator in my case (BeQuite pure base 500dx) - is front panel with best fan orientation - intake.
BUT, as i understand, it will increase my CPU temps by warming up incoming air, i have no idea for how much.
Probably, i am going to need AIO system for my CPU aswell. I am thinking about two different schemes:
  1. Get a 2x140 AIO and mount it on top as exhaust. It will also use warmed up by GPU air to cool
    7XmUa-T9mWs.jpg
  2. Get a 1x140 or 1x120 AIO and install it as intake on the leftside of case (where default exhaust fan is) with custom dust filter.
    MCDNmkcbOqA.jpg
Basically, my question is - 1x140 AIO with intake VS 2x140 AIO with exhaust - what do you think?
I am not native speaker, so might be tongue-tied, sorry..

Solution
Just try with your air cooler and see how it goes. No need to invest in another AIO ahead of time.

The key to cooling is air flow, doesn't have to be cool air. Yes it would be less efficient to have the CPU cooler intaking already heated air, but that air still has heat capacity to absorb more.

You could also put in top mounted intake fans to help your CPU cooler out. Or completely reverse the flow. Have top and rear intake, flip the CPU fan around, and have the front radiator as exhaust.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just try with your air cooler and see how it goes. No need to invest in another AIO ahead of time.

The key to cooling is air flow, doesn't have to be cool air. Yes it would be less efficient to have the CPU cooler intaking already heated air, but that air still has heat capacity to absorb more.

You could also put in top mounted intake fans to help your CPU cooler out. Or completely reverse the flow. Have top and rear intake, flip the CPU fan around, and have the front radiator as exhaust.

Solution
Sep 24, 2021

Thank you very much for advice mate, i will definetly try my tower with GPUs rad intake for the beginning.
But if it goes bad, what do you think about my quwstion? Should i bother considering 140 AIO as intake or it is not comparable to 280 even is 279 works with warmed up air?