Question Optimal EVGA CLC Fans Set-Up

Aug 5, 2020
L&G's,

Any suggestion on how to set up CLC (EVGA in particular)? I notice that EVGA Flow control soft is controlling fans RPM based on water temp and not really reacting much on CPU temp. Would it be better to connect fans to MB CPU fan connector and control fans by means of MB as it gives much more flexibility on fans profile set-up? Another question if anybody can suggest separate MB fan control soft as I feel MB original soft (Asus) is also not flexible enough, in particular I'd like to increased case fan RPM based on GPU temp and there is no such ability in Asus software.

IMO, You want your fans to respond to the fluid temp. When they respond to CPU temp they can do some obnoxious things.

IE: You open a browser. The CPU ramps up quickly and momentarily spikes to 100% and the temp rises quickly. The fans rush to 100%. The browser finishes opening and the CPU falls off to near idle again and the temp drops quickly. The fans slow down. This would happen all the time. Every background task that starts, every new page or program you open. Momentary temperature spikes that cause the fans to spin up and spin back down. I call this "sawing."

If the system has been running for awhile and has a decent amount of heat soaked into it. It can take longer too cool down because the fans will slow down when the CPU does. That in turns reduces the radiators effectiveness at removing heat from the system.

In a CLC the next issue is less of an issue but for full depth. If the fans are tied to the CPU and there is a GPU in the loop then you could have a balance issue where the GPU is very hot because the fans on the rad aren't spinning because the CPU isn't working that hard.

For a CLC it may not be as critical. But for a full loop then you want your fans to respond to fluid temp.

Aug 5, 2020
Thanks for advice. The only doubt that I have is I don't observe much difference in CPU temperature with increase of CLC fan RPM or pump speed. Maybe cuz 360 CLC that I have is too big for my 3600, I got it for future upgraded and will try some overclocking later. EVGA soft strangely has only CPU package monitoring in it and package temp goes pretty high in compare with CPU temp. Appreciate if somebody can help on this, it is normal to have big difference (like 20 C) between CPU and CPU package temps? Does it indicate something is wrong? Bad contact with cooling surface perhaps?