[SOLVED] Optimal fan configuration airflow directions for aircooled Antec 1100 case

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Sorry if this should go in 'cases', but it really is a cooling question: I built a system with an Antec 1100 case: ATX Arous Pro Z690 mobo, Intel 12700K CPU, Asus 3060i GPU, (and importantly) DeepCool Assassin III CPU air cooler. This is the best I could do in uploading a screen shot that gives you an idea of case fan placements:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811129203
There are views along the bottom that will show you different angles of pictures of the case.
My question is this: It's unclear to me which fans should be blowing into the case or out of the case. The possible fans are: 1.In the front bottom of the case are 2 intake fans. It's clear that those are intake of air fans, and properly so. You can mount 2 more optional fans about 4 inches behind the 2 fans just mentioned. If I did that, intake seems the obvious right choice. But after that, I find it confusing: There is a rear fan that the Antec manual says should be intake. There are 2 top fans that Antec says should be intake. There are 2 optional side-case fans on the clear side window that Antec says should be intake fans.
I would think, that the rear case fan should be an exhaust fan, given that my huge DeepCool Assassin CPU cooler is trying to exit hot air from the CPU, no?
And one might argue that the two top fans might also be exhaust, so as not to interfere with the DeepCool exhaust flow, no?
The two optional clear-panel side fans (which I think is a good feature), could I think be argued either way - as intake, it'd blow air on the GPU, and perhaps an NVME that's buried between
the GPU and the DeepCool setup. Antec says these fans should be intake fans.
All of the fans mentioned are 120mm fans. The Antec instructions, which has every fan, both included and optional, as intake fans just puzzles me. Yes, the case is from around 2012,
and isn't friendly to liquid cooling (which I don't want anyway), but I'd think all that intake air would be ineffective, if not detrimental. I'd think one would want intake fans only until you
reach the middle of the case, and everything should be an exhaust after that, except perhaps for the two clear-panel side fans.
Thanks in advance for what fan placement you'd advise,a and why.
One last thing - there's a mounting for a 120mm fan behind the motherboard - a cutout that faces the bottom of the CPU. One could put an intake fan there, although I'm not
concerned with using that, given that the DeepCool should do the job.
Also - I really don't care about noise - much more interested in keeping components cool.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry if this should go in 'cases', but it really is a cooling question: I built a system with an Antec 1100 case: ATX Arous Pro Z690 mobo, Intel 12700K CPU, Asus 3060i GPU, (and importantly) DeepCool Assassin III CPU air cooler. This is the best I could do in uploading a screen shot that gives you an idea of case fan placements:
There are views along the bottom that will show you different angles of pictures of the case.
My question is this: It's unclear to me which fans should be blowing into the case or out of the case. The possible fans are: 1.In the front bottom of the case are 2 intake fans. It's clear that those are intake of air fans, and properly so. You can mount 2 more...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My question is this: It's unclear to me which fans should be blowing into the case or out of the case. The possible fans are: 1.In the front bottom of the case are 2 intake fans. It's clear that those are intake of air fans, and properly so. You can mount 2 more optional fans about 4 inches behind the 2 fans just mentioned. If I did that, intake seems the obvious right choice. But after that, I find it confusing: There is a rear fan that the Antec manual says should be intake. There are 2 top fans that Antec says should be intake. There are 2 optional side-case fans on the clear side window that Antec says should be intake fans.
I would think, that the rear case fan should be an exhaust fan, given that my huge DeepCool Assassin CPU cooler is trying to exit hot air from the CPU, no?
And one might argue that the two top fans might also be exhaust, so as not to interfere with the DeepCool exhaust flow, no?
The two optional clear-panel side fans (which I think is a good feature), could I think be argued either way - as intake, it'd blow air on the GPU, and perhaps an NVME that's buried between
the GPU and the DeepCool setup. Antec says these fans should be intake fans.
All of the fans mentioned are 120mm fans. The Antec instructions, which has every fan, both included and optional, as intake fans just puzzles me. Yes, the case is from around 2012,
and isn't friendly to liquid cooling (which I don't want anyway), but I'd think all that intake air would be ineffective, if not detrimental. I'd think one would want intake fans only until you
reach the middle of the case, and everything should be an exhaust after that, except perhaps for the two clear-panel side fans.
Thanks in advance for what fan placement you'd advise,a and why.
One last thing - there's a mounting for a 120mm fan behind the motherboard - a cutout that faces the bottom of the CPU. One could put an intake fan there, although I'm not
concerned with using that, given that the DeepCool should do the job.
2 X 120mm in the front blowing in and 1 X 120mm in the back blowing out should be all you need.

Solution