[SOLVED] Optimal setup when mixing different RAM's?

Jukebox

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hey! I recently got a little faster RAM from my previous one. It's Crucial Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 (BL2K8G32C16U4BL).

My old RAM was G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2666 CL15 Quad kit 16GB (4x4GB).

MOBO: Asus X99-A/USB3.1
CPU: I7-6800k

Now, I got the new RAM as a gift so it wasn't my choice and I would have opted for more of the same RAM if I had the choice. Now, I have a quad channel mobo and a CPU that supports it.
What would be the optimal setup, as to what slots to put what sticks in, if I were to mix them together. I know there might be problems etc, but I do need the extra RAM, rather than the "3200mhz" speed.
Because of the quad channel, how do I manage it? Do I put respective sticks to their own channel and then have the 2x4GB leftover in leftover slots? Or do I just mix the 8GB and the 4GB into quad channels?

Solution
There is no optimal setting with this kind of different sticks. If you are lucky it will boot and run stable.

I would try it as follows (check the bandwidth with e.g. userbenchmark.com):

D1 and B1 with the new RAM 8GB + 8GB
A1, B2, C1 and D2 with the rest

or

A1, B1, C1, D1 with the old RAM
B2, D2 the new RAM
There is no optimal setting with this kind of different sticks. If you are lucky it will boot and run stable.

or

B2, D2 the new RAM

Solution

Jukebox

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

or

B2, D2 the new RAM

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion! I tried both of your suggestions. The PC boots just fine, but in both setups it only recognises 20GB. In both, one 8GB module and one 4GB module is missing in BIOS. In windows task manager, it also shows only 20GB max RAM. Otherwise it's working smooth and well, havent tried to put any load yet though. Do you happen to know what the reason might be for the 2 missing RAM sticks?

Jukebox

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Got it working! I just tried different combinations and ended up putting the 1x8GB module into A1 channel and the other into B1 channel. Then I put the 4x4GB into the right side of my case, all into C1-2 and D1-2. Works fine and been under load for like 1 hour

Latest posts