[SOLVED] Optimize my CPU?

wolfhors3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2020
So I have a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 3.85 GHz, x-370 MB and a geforce 1080 gpu and 32G mem. I was on a steam forum about my FPS in some games.7 days to die, No man's Sky to name a few. My PC runs most games really great. Played CP2077 thru twice and never had a crash or any glitches. It ran smooth as silk. So I was just asking Why my framerate was sometimes in the 30s or 40s, that I thought I should be getting a little better frame rate. I got 2 comments in particular. One said and excuse my language but it's a quote "sucks balls at multi threading". So I looked up some reviews and some benchmark tests and all gave it good marks against i7 and i9s in most things and muti threading. I posted this and got a comment from another poster that said my CPU was really overkill for almost all games but that I should probably optimixe my CPU for that.
Now I'm fairly savvy with PCs. I'm no coder but I did build mine and other people's PCs. I'm familiar with bios settings and how to get into them but it's been awhile. Does anyone know how to "optimize" my cpu? The first poster said something along the lines of "set the client to only use 4 of the 8 cores". I'm assuming that's in the bios but I just added new 32g Ram and I don't remember seeing any setting like that.
Anyway is there anyone that can explain what they're talking about and maybe walk me thru it a little. I'm sure if I could get to the settings I could figure it out.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
So I have a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 3.85 GHz, x-370 MB and a geforce 1080 gpu and 32G mem. I was on a steam forum about my FPS in some games.7 days to die, No man's Sky to name a few. My PC runs most games really great. Played CP2077 thru twice and never had a crash or any glitches. It ran smooth as silk. So I was just asking Why my framerate was sometimes in the 30s or 40s, that I thought I should be getting a little better frame rate. I got 2 comments in particular. One said and excuse my language but it's a quote "sucks balls at multi threading". So I looked up some reviews and some benchmark tests and all gave it good marks against i7 and i9s in most things and muti threading. I posted this and got a comment from...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of your PSU, apart from it's make and model. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Reactions: ZoroDa
So I have a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 3.85 GHz, x-370 MB and a geforce 1080 gpu and 32G mem. I was on a steam forum about my FPS in some games.7 days to die, No man's Sky to name a few. My PC runs most games really great. Played CP2077 thru twice and never had a crash or any glitches. It ran smooth as silk. So I was just asking Why my framerate was sometimes in the 30s or 40s, that I thought I should be getting a little better frame rate. I got 2 comments in particular. One said and excuse my language but it's a quote "sucks balls at multi threading". So I looked up some reviews and some benchmark tests and all gave it good marks against i7 and i9s in most things and muti threading. I posted this and got a comment from another poster that said my CPU was really overkill for almost all games but that I should probably optimixe my CPU for that.
Now I'm fairly savvy with PCs. I'm no coder but I did build mine and other people's PCs. I'm familiar with bios settings and how to get into them but it's been awhile. Does anyone know how to "optimize" my cpu? The first poster said something along the lines of "set the client to only use 4 of the 8 cores". I'm assuming that's in the bios but I just added new 32g Ram and I don't remember seeing any setting like that.
Anyway is there anyone that can explain what they're talking about and maybe walk me thru it a little. I'm sure if I could get to the settings I could figure it out.
Thanks in advance for any help.

1800X is first gen and as such it doesn't get the boosting algorithm and PBO that's become increasingly sophisticated with later generations. So the way to 'optimize' performance is with old-fashioned all core overclocking.

Done right you should be able to get an all-core overclock of around 4.0Ghz, or 4.1-4.2 if your CPU has really good to excellent silicon quality. But doing it right depends a lot on motherboard as it needs a capable VRM with decent heatsinking.

Keep CPU core voltage around 1.38 or less when stress testing and that's the SVI2 core voltage reported by HWInfo64. A less capable motherboard may have a lot of SVI2 voltage variance as load changes. The CPU can deal with that, but keep voltage under 1.425 when temps are 70C or less and 1.375-1.38V with temps up to 90C. Ideally an 1800X might be OC stable as low as 1.325V on a top-end motherboard with a very capable VRM even at idle.

The processor has a really steep 'knee' in the V/F curve: that means needed voltage will seem remarkably low as you're raising frequency. But at the knee it will start to take off and need a lot more for even small increases. I hit the knee at about 3.8Ghz on my 1700, an 1800X might hit it closer to 3.95-4.0Ghz

You'll also need great cooling for the CPU...something like a 240mm AIO or one of the large air coolers. Temps in the upper 80's are to be expected in stress tests: the CPU has a Tjmax rating of 95C. The only reason to reduce cores is if you have inadequate cooling. Even then only go to 6 with SMT enabled, so 12 threads, for gaming.

I suggest stress testing for stability using Cinebench 20 or 23. It's excessive and unreal but you can use Prime95 if you want just turn off AVX instructions.

Last edited:
Solution