Question Optimized defaults won’t save on VII Hero

pheidius

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
I have a spooky ASUS hero Maximus VII build. It doesn’t boot correctly 9 times out of ten. Right now it is stripped down and booting from the internal graphics. It stops on various error codes 32 55 99 and others. Sometimes it won’t even post the bios screen. Other times it will. When it does post the bios and I try to load the f5 optimized defaults it won’t save that selection. It never gives you the confirmation dialog and just reverts to the menu when you click OK. I have discovered that when I clear the cmos it will boot fine all the way to Windows Seven Ultimate and run merrily for hours. Sadly, when you reboot it, it begins throwing errors and fails to boot. I don’t know what to try next.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs. And confirm: you are running Windows 7?

Are you able to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Look for error codes and warnings that correspond to boot failures or other problems.

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced?

pheidius

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hi. Sorry about specs.
ASUS Hero Maximus VII
Core i7 4.0 ghz Intel CPU
Corsair Vengance 16gb(2 by 8)
Corsair AX 850(brand new to this build)
Noctua tower cooler with dual fans
Nvidia 980 TI(not currently in machine)
ASUS pcie wifi card(not currently in machine)

As far as warnings from Windows goes, I have never gotten any errors reported as it doesn’t crash if I ever get it to boot all the way it doesn’t get past the uefi controll sat best and not even that far at worst.
I have stripped the machine down and reset the processor but no I have not changed battery. I will try that tomorrow.

pheidius

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hi. Sorry about specs.
ASUS Hero Maximus VII
Core i7 4.0 ghz Intel CPU
Corsair Vengance 16gb(2 by 8)
Corsair AX 850(brand new to this build)
Noctua tower cooler with dual fans
Nvidia 980 TI(not currently in machine)
ASUS pcie wifi card(not currently in machine)

As far as warnings from Windows goes, I have never gotten any errors reported as it doesn’t crash if I ever get it to boot all the way it doesn’t get past the uefi controll sat best and not even that far at worst.
I have stripped the machine down and reset the processor but no I have not changed battery. I will try that tomorrow.
Oh. Yes. This is Windows seven ultimate