Question Optimized RAM for windows 10?

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I did a fresh install of Windows 10. The install is very clean with minimal bloatware and I've extensively gone through and disabled unnecessary services. Even still, my memory usage is about 2.8gb (out of 32gb of available ram).

I'm used to seeing about 1.8 gb idle on my previous install - what could be the added bloat to idle?

kanewolf

Titan
I did a fresh install of Windows 10. The install is very clean with minimal bloatware and I've extensively gone through and disabled unnecessary services. Even still, my memory usage is about 2.8gb (out of 32gb of available ram).

I'm used to seeing about 1.8 gb idle on my previous install - what could be the added bloat to idle?
With 30GB free, what benefit do you believe you will get from reducing the idle memory footprint ?

I can't recall ever idling with less than 2.5 to 3 GB of RAM used. Of 8 total.

If I had 32 rather than 8, RAM usage of 2.8 would not appear on my list of concerns at all.

Did you do anything semi-heroic to get it down to 1.8 on your old build?

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I can't recall ever idling with less than 2.5 to 3 GB of RAM used. Of 8 total.

If I had 32 rather than 8, RAM usage of 2.8 would not appear on my list of concerns at all.

Did you do anything semi-heroic to get it down to 1.8 on your old build?

I like to run Cyberpunk, Deus Ex : MD and Forza side by side.

Just kidding... but I do a ton of multitasking. I'll be in the middle of a AAA game, then have to jump windows into work related items (browser, office and lots of other things simultaneously) pretty much 24/7. Upgraded to 32gb a while ago to keep things smooth.

No... it's not an emergency but I did whittle W10 down to 1.8 (2 years ago) after diving deep into powershell and services and between doing it in a frenzy and the changes to windows over the past 2 years, I don't remember exactly how I reached that point.

We all have different machines so that number will vary.

If I boot this machine and let it sit for a few mins ram usage settles out at 1.6GB.

I suppose that's the result of slowly finding stuff that was of no value to me and turning it off.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
We all have different machines so that number will vary.

If I boot this machine and let it sit for a few mins ram usage settles out at 1.6GB.

I suppose that's the result of slowly finding stuff that was of no value to me and turning it off.

Amen to that

I also get the sense that the system sees the available RAM and runs things it otherwise wouldn't, like making use of a budget

Colif

Win 11 Master
Empty ram is wasted space. its not helping, its not making PC any faster, if anything the less that is cached is just more you have to load when it comes time to running something.

Windows memory management tries to operate PC in such a way it is most efficient. Its not efficient to close programs, write all the data to storage and then if you open program again, reload it to ram... no, its more efficient to compress that data in ram and if you open program again it only has to decompress it which takes less time. There is more to it than that.

Windows 10 will shrink and grown depending on your ram amount. win 10 can run in less ram than all previous versions of windows until you reach windows xp. It just uses more page file as it shrinks in ram.

I can't say much as I have 8gb free ram right now and 13gb in standby so my system has more than I use too. I don't know why I have 13gb cached, it seems a little much for what i do.

D

Deleted member 14196

You are overly concerned with nothing and if you don’t want it to use memory then shut it off

Also you probably shouldn’t be playing AAA titles while you’re working. It doesn’t sound very ethical