[SOLVED] "Optimizing" my Windows 10 PC for gaming, browsing,etc? programs/tutorials?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
All my Win 10 pc's run so -- oddly....with everthing jumping around day to day...my specs are fine for the OS...the PC's are at worst 5 years old, the programs/apps are sometimes 15 years with little change....so mad right now! :(

Solution
A clean re-install should at least help you start from scratch.

Trying to optimize it from there if you have a PC that's sufficiently powerful (i.e., not a complete potato) is kinda pointless. You don't gain anything except for highly CPU bound scenarios and at worst, you cause problems that you can't figure out how to fix because the software was expecting something that you touched and have long forgotten what it was.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
What do you mean by jumping around day to day? Is your mouse pointer lagging?

Some 15-year-with-little-change programs and apps may have problem working on current OS. Examples could have been useful.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
What do you mean by jumping around day to day? Is your mouse pointer lagging?

Some 15-year-with-little-change programs and apps may have problem working on current OS. Examples could have been useful.

For example one day Microsoft word on either PC is fine, the next not. One day WoW,Rift, Neverwinter and other games are fine then not. Same with programs like VLC.

D

Deleted member 14196

Sounds like you need to do a clean install of windows because those problems are very odd and shouldn’t exist. And once you’re done you don’t need to optimize it just use it

A clean re-install should at least help you start from scratch.

Trying to optimize it from there if you have a PC that's sufficiently powerful (i.e., not a complete potato) is kinda pointless. You don't gain anything except for highly CPU bound scenarios and at worst, you cause problems that you can't figure out how to fix because the software was expecting something that you touched and have long forgotten what it was.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS