Optimizing RAM on ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F

imail724

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I just upgraded to this mobo and I was hoping someone would be able to help me configure my RAM in the BIOS (and any other suggestions you may have for optimization)? The RAM I bought has a latency of 15-16-16-35 and 1.35 voltage. I found these sections in the BIOS, I can take a guess as to what goes where, but I'd like to be sure first before I start messing with things since there seems to be more options than I have values for. Thoughts?

Solution
Look up Youtube videos about timing optimization/RAM overclocking, since overclocking RAM is an entirely different beast compared to CPU/GPU. Ryzen is incredibly picky with timings and memory speed. I could type an entire research essay on overclocking RAM. It'd be best to look up some videos just so that you have some examples and visual references to use for when you start to modify your timings.

If it works at that timing and speed, it's best to just not change it. Ryzen is so picky that a change in timing could lead to your RAM not booting.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Look up Youtube videos about timing optimization/RAM overclocking, since overclocking RAM is an entirely different beast compared to CPU/GPU. Ryzen is incredibly picky with timings and memory speed. I could type an entire research essay on overclocking RAM. It'd be best to look up some videos just so that you have some examples and visual references to use for when you start to modify your timings.

If it works at that timing and speed, it's best to just not change it. Ryzen is so picky that a change in timing could lead to your RAM not booting.

Solution

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

Yep. Don't fix what's not broken. Shrinking timings on RAM barely makes a real world difference, and with Ryzen being as picky as it is as long as it works it's fine.

imail724

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Curious, would you recommend using the BIOS's DOCM feature? Someone on another board recommended it.