Options for building server for small mortgage company

JayL17

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I've been tasked with purchasing all the necessary items and configuration of a server for my company. Security is the biggest concern, back-up of important database files is up there as well. Locking down certain data so it cannot be deleted/moved is key. Already lost (and luckily recovered) sensitive data accidentally deleted by an employee.

We currently have approximately 50 PC's in use, running Windows 7 / Windows 10. My goal is to create a standard image for all machines using Windows 10 Pro. Unsure whether to have all the computers log into the domain to be set up on the network, or log into the PC locally then RDP into a remote machine set up on the server, or another option I'm not aware of yet (suggestions welcome!).

Pricing is not an issue, however we wouldn't want to go above what we need hardware wise.

Thoughts/suggestions? If you need any additional info I'll provide.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Solution
If security is the number 1 priority then you SHOULD have a domain. 50PCs is large enough that you should have already had a domain server. So a Windows Server machine would be necessary. You may ALSO want a NAS for backups.

You also need to ensure that your networking and firewall are up to par.

kanewolf

Titan
If security is the number 1 priority then you SHOULD have a domain. 50PCs is large enough that you should have already had a domain server. So a Windows Server machine would be necessary. You may ALSO want a NAS for backups.

You also need to ensure that your networking and firewall are up to par.

Solution

JayL17

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

It's my first time setting up a networked environment basically from the ground up (no server, mismatched hardware/OS, etc).. I've managed pre-existing networks before, but with so many options out there, just trying to gather some ideas/suggestions on setting this up.

JayL17

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Thank you - your points are noted. Appreciate it.