Question Options for Mac M3 To Run Linux / Windows VM’s (Server?) ?

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Greetings!

I have a goal of going through certifications to get my CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Cisco CCNA and eventually OSCP. I also plan to learn SQL and Python over the next two years and spend some time on sites like hack the box, try hack me, etc. in my off time as a hobby (I’m a tinkerer).

I like the Mac ecosystem, but understand that the ARM chips in the Apple Silicon present challenges with software compatibility, especially Linux distributions and Windows 11.

I’m trying to understand if I’m better off sticking with a Windows computer, or if I can use an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro.

My two questions are:

1) How is performance for Parallels Win 11, and can I run a VM of Windows 11 through Parallels with a VM for Linux inside it, or will that not work due to the hardware? (Think Kali Linux most likely to start). I’ve read that Kali will run natively on a Mac, but several key tools don’t work I believe (I.e burpsuite I think).

2) Instead, can I run an AWS or Azure server that is a full Windows 11 install that I can remote into through the Mac, to then run VM’s or Linux inside of? If so, is this difficult to set up, and would it be expensive? This would be only for personal use. Would this be high risk?

2a) I have fiber internet, and additional PC’s at home I could also use to set up my own server if that’s a better option, I just don’t know how to do it yet, but I’m sure can figure it out.

Just trying to decide if my efforts are better off with a Windows laptop (currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen5) or if I can do this on an ARM Mac, as I’d love to switch to the Mac ecosystem. I want to ensure I don’t set myself back with the ARM Mac.

Thank you in advance for your help and insight - I truly appreciate it!

Edit: I know I can use either to learn and watch videos and read, but my concern is more on working through labs, hands on training and activities, and how best to run the required software for that on an Apple Silicon device, if it can be done today.

Last edited: