[SOLVED] Optiplex 390 Graphics Card Upgrade

Mike060

Reputable
Nov 22, 2019
Ok so i am looking to upgrade a computer using a dell Optiplex 390 motherboard currently using:
I5-2400
GTX 1050 TI 4GB
8GB RAM
Original Power Supply

I Was wondering what the max Graphics card is that works with the motherboard. I Will upgrade my PSU if needed.

Not using original casing so full-sized cards will fit inside.

Solution
I believe that the motherboard won't accept AMD RX cards, or some R9 cards (for the R9, might work if the particular one is equipped with a switch that allows for the use of Legacy BIOS).

Very likely, Nvidia up to 10-series will work.

I'm using it based on the fact that this is generally what is stated for the XPS 8300 tower, which was Sandy Bridge era. The Dell forums will be a good place to search for people who have tried upgrading.

The 4GB of RAM will hold you back, if you're looking to increase gaming performance.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I believe that the motherboard won't accept AMD RX cards, or some R9 cards (for the R9, might work if the particular one is equipped with a switch that allows for the use of Legacy BIOS).

Very likely, Nvidia up to 10-series will work.

I'm using it based on the fact that this is generally what is stated for the XPS 8300 tower, which was Sandy Bridge era. The Dell forums will be a good place to search for people who have tried upgrading.

The 4GB of RAM will hold you back, if you're looking to increase gaming performance.

Solution
May 1, 2019
I had an rx vega 56 working just fine on x58 and it's even older than that machine, idk if the compatibility is any different with vega vs the r9 series though. Imo I would upgrade the CPU to an i7 2600, just a thought.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, Sandy Bridge motherboards generally work, like from Gigabyte, Asus, etc., but OEMs such as Dell were still non UEFI, and have some weird BIOS incompatibilities, at least for some of their models.

I believe with the newer AMD cards, it's a matter of VESA mode 103 not being supported by the cards, which certain older Dells require.

https://www.wimsbios.com/forum/vide...pported-this-gpu-sapphire-285-itx-t14364.html

In my own case, my old Dell XPS 8300 (Sandy Bridge CPU) wouldn't display or boot when I had my R9 285 (Gigabyte Windforce OC) installed in it. Some R9 era cards had a switch on them to allow for operation with either UEFI or Legacy BIOS. My card was NOT one of them.

Reactions: overboost07