[SOLVED] Optiplex 7020 sff with 3 drives

Jan 16, 2020
Hi, I have purchased an Optiplex 7020 sff that has a 500gb mechanical drive, and I am looking to install 2 additional SSD's. One 128gb SSD to transfer the windows operating installation onto and an additional 500 gb SSD . Would this be possible? I can remove the dvd drive to free up a space and could probably use that space for 1 drive which I could secure into the drive bay but not sure about the second SSD.

I have seen some drive frame's specifically for the Optiplex series that fit into the vacated space from the DVD drive but not sure if there is an option to install 2 SSD's into one of these. If there is no other solution, could one of the SSD's be secured to the underside of the metal case?

Thanks

Solution
Ditch the 500GB HDD. Go all SSD.

A single 1TB SSD would probably not be a lot more expensive than 128GB + 500GB.
Or, a 250GBSSD + 500GB SSD, in a single bracket that fits where the current HDD is.

A 128GB OS dive is not recommended. That is right on the edge of TooSmall.

How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
Ditch the 500GB HDD. Go all SSD.

A single 1TB SSD would probably not be a lot more expensive than 128GB + 500GB.
Or, a 250GBSSD + 500GB SSD, in a single bracket that fits where the current HDD is.

A 128GB OS dive is not recommended. That is right on the edge of TooSmall.

How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?

Solution
The optiplex 7020 sff is very similar to my 3020 sff, and on the 3020, apparently there is a space below the 3.5" drive for a 2.5" drive as well:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...rd-drive-memory-and-coin-cell-battery?lang=en

Even if your 7020 doesn't have the additional 2.5" bay like my 3020, you can probably get a drive cage from a 3020 or even easier, just use a 2x 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dual...ocphy=9012653&hvtargid=pla-365069387933&psc=1

This will allow you to keep your dvd drive too. :)

It's interesting that you have 3 sata and 4 memory slots as my 3020 only has 2 sata and 2 memory slots even though it supports the same processor family. Odd why they made these two nearly identical systems.