optiplex 790 question

Feb 9, 2019
im looking for a dell optiplex stronger power source than the 790 240 watt version it is far too weak for heavier gaming...mind you i do play alot soemtimes or used too but 240watts my power source fries but with this mini thing i bought for 500 dollars afew years ago they now sell for like 150 bucks . it lasted about 3-4 years withoug frying but now i fried 2 already one in only 3 months...im just looking for a solution for seomthing that fits in the optiplex 390 tower thatt has more than 240 watts.

If you have the MT Mini Tower case you can use any aftermarket ATX PSU you want. Just read the label on the Dell PSU and be sure to get one that has as much power on the 5Volt rail. EVGA is pretty good about that. There may be a metal tab or 2 that needs to be pushed in, but that's about it.

Feb 9, 2019
not sure what that means but yes i have the mini tower ive come across a possible power source that has 400 watts so i might pick one up still looking for higher...but thanks for replying:)

Be sure and get a PSU that's been reviewed by someone who has the equipment to load tets them. There are PSU tier charts available from Toms, and Johnnyguru. An offbrand PSU will be worse than what you have. There is a label on the PSU that lists the power available at the different Voltages. 3.3V,5V,and 12V. Newer computers don't use the 5V. much anymore, so some PSUs don't have enough power to run an older Dell. This will be listed in the spec. sheet of a new PSU. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues.

Feb 9, 2019
You've listed 790, and 390 opriplexes. But you have specified Tower. The PSU that you listed is exactly what you do not want. For one thing it's for a smaller computer it says TFX not ATX so it's the wrong size. You really need to be looking at 600W and up aftermarket PSUs for the GTX780. 400 is OK for the 960. But not if it's junk. Bad ones can damage parts in your computer due to dirty current, and also catch fire due to no overload protection.
Look around in here. You can find decnt PSUs just a scheap as the jumk ones.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Feb 9, 2019
none f those will fit in my computer. the optiplex 390 is my case teh 790 is my power source. Nvidida GeForce 750Ti is my graphics card and i3 2100 compter. 12 gb ram.

The 390 and all Optiplexes come in more than one size and the PSUs are all different.
There is a Mini Tower MT which stands upright, a Desktop DT which is smaller and usually lays flat, then the Small form factor SFF which is very small but has a 16x GPU slot, and the USFF whuch onlt has onboard video so soes not apply.
Look in here and figure out which size you have.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-390/manuals
The simplest solution will be to get a GTX1050Ti in the same size as the 750Ti and use the PSU that you have.
In the sizes smaller than the MT PSU upgrades can be difficult.

Feb 9, 2019
my tower is aSFF i didnt state that before becaus ei didnt know it mattered but after reading online i see it does...SFF so thats why i posted the ones up top they look closest to fitting in my tower....even if it doesnt fit as long as it gives me more wattage like 500 or so 240 just doesnt cut it for gaming. i tried to post pictures so you see exactly what i have running here but it doesnt see to post. but again im a computer noob so...

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sonny307 : "Optiplex S F F"

Feb 17, 2019
I have a Dell optiplex 790 running a Corsair cx650m power supply. I found it on sale at Best Buy a little while ago. Fits in just fine and can run just about any GPU.