Question Optiplex 9020 extremely slow at copying files to USB 3.0 drives ?

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Linux (xubuntu flavour) seems to be mostly running fine on these machines. But it is extremely slow at copying files to usb 3.0 drives. Anybody else had this issue? I did find

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=630g8

but that is from 2013....surely newer linux versions would have incorporated them by now? Not sure whether i should install or not.

I have two of these and on one of them the fans go into max overdrive every time i shut down or put into standby. It's very noisy...only way to deal with that is to either pull the power cable or leave it on all the time. Hoping somebody might have an idea of why that is happening as well? Didn't do it until i swapped out the ssd...and problem didn't replicate on the second machine.

What drive are you using and do you know if it can do USB3 speeds? I got a few USB 3.0 flash drives I use all the time but they are not much faster than USB 2 speeds in fact they are usually slower with some files. If its a USB3 HDD or SSD, then I could really help ya much, not vary knowledgeable about Linux, just know some of the basics and some of the frustrations I've had with hardware on some distros lol.

Good Luck!

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
this is weird, the drive started losing files in the end...so i figured failing usb drive, i just got a dodgy one....but new drive now and fine at first...now it's started doing the same thing. I'm wondering if too much power is going to the usb port and that is what is killing my drives? i need better kit, just feel like i got done a bit on these two machines now from ebay, both have probs.