OptiPlex GX280 vs. Dimension 8400

I am getting ready to order a computer from Dell for home use. I will be
using the Win XP Home as my OS. I will be using a lot of graphic
applications (heavy in clip art, flight sims, etc.) as well as office
applications. I am looking at the Dimension 8400 and the OptiPlex GX280. Any
suggestions or recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Harry Gordon
San Antonio, TX

ancient history:
Dimension used to be Dell's "cutting technology" line -- for things that are
hottest on the market, but not necessarily trouble-shot properly (oh, the
miserable days of the plagued winmodem!!)

Optiplex used to be Dell's "proven, tried & true" line -- for businesses
that needed puters that ran SOLID and reliable rather than trying to win the
dragstrip races.

Gamers loved buying Dimensions, and Businesses (and schools) loved buying
Optiplex.

These days, well -- it's really just a matter of what you need vs. what you
can get for what price.

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I am getting ready to order a computer from Dell for home use. I will be
> using the Win XP Home as my OS. I will be using a lot of graphic
> applications (heavy in clip art, flight sims, etc.) as well as office
> applications. I am looking at the Dimension 8400 and the OptiPlex GX280.
> Any
> suggestions or recommendations you might have would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Harry Gordon
> San Antonio, TX

Except for some cosmetics and a few options, they are the same system.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Except for some cosmetics and a few options, they are the same system.

That is a fact. I wonder if the Optiplex warranty options are any better
(these days).

Stew