[SOLVED] Optix Mag27CQ G Sync Intermittent Video

WhiteMousse

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for any topics that are similar to mine, and to the best of my ability there are none. I apologize if I missed any, or if this is a well known situation.

I recently built my own rig, I'm pretty happy with it- a Ryzen 7 5800X with an RTX 3080Ti, and 32GB of DDR4 @4000. The SSD is lightning fast and everything seems to be flowing perfectly--

Except my new monitor. When I enable G Sync, everything flies like a dream- there is not even a hint of tearing or lag. The problem is that for me, enabling G Sync on this monitor results in a very strange phenomenon. I've been able to determine that it only happens when G Sync is enabled.

The issue itself is a loss of video. It goes black, will come on after a few moments but only for a second or two. When the video comes back, the "Display Port" notification pops up, indicating that the monitor has just been identified.

However there are several stipulations.

1. If G Sync is off, and then I enable it, the issue will not occur. If I leave G Sync on, restart the computer, it will occur. Although sometimes the opposite occurs- I'm experiencing the issue, and restarting the computer causes it to go away, at least for a while.
  2. The issue only occurs for certain games such as Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and Prey. It does not occur with say, Doom Eternal or Octopath Traveler. Worth noting that exiting and restarting the game does not fix the issue.
  3. Additionally, playing one of those other games will eliminate the issue, meaning that when I encounter the phenomenon in Witcher 3, if I exit and start Octopath, then exit that and go back to Witcher 3, the issue is gone.
  4. The second monitor, which is just a standard Asus 1080p, never goes dark.
I've looked at reviews of this monitor and I have not found any that talk about this issue. Do I understand correctly that this monitor has freesync tech, but is not actually G Sync compatible?

Just to be absolutely clear, here is the model:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-op...ayport-hdmi-dvi-black/6211722.p?skuId=6211722

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to find some sort of answer- someone suggested to me that it's actually my GPU which is a horrifying thought- I don't believe I can get another one of that quality at a reasonable price.

Solution
The highest overdrive settings on MSI monitors have always given me hell. I would start there. Also, verify the cable is the right type and set refresh rate to highest option if you already done so. HDR could also cause wierd issue like that to gsync.
The highest overdrive settings on MSI monitors have always given me hell. I would start there. Also, verify the cable is the right type and set refresh rate to highest option if you already done so. HDR could also cause wierd issue like that to gsync.

Solution