Oracle Accuses HP of Paying Intel to Keep Itanium on Life Support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Criminal acts aren't protected by non-disclosure agreements or no-compete agreements. If HP is in fact paying Intel to keep Itanium alive in an effort to force Oracle to continue developing for Itanium based systems, neither a non-disclosure agreement nor a no-compete agreement would legally prevent Mark Hurd from talking. Now, if HP is paying Intel strictly for their own gains....it's a different story and HP will eventually have to prove it and could possibly take legal action against Mark Hurd as a result.x86-64 has nothing to do with Intel killing off Itanium. Clock for Clock, Itanium outperforms the Opteron processors. What actually hurt the Itanium processor was it's initial inability to execute 32bit code, which was corrected with the Itanium2. Most companies that were likely to buy into the Itanium processors, chose to go the route of the Xeon and Opteron due to native 32bit support.[/citation]

Wow, you packed a lot of disinformation in one post. Nice job.

In fact, you're completely wrong. The original Itanium had 386 support built into the hardware of the processor. It was removed, and instead they offered support only via software emulation in later versions.

Clock per clock is really a useless measurement unless they run at the same clock speeds. The Itanium and Itanium 2 were designed to run at much lower clock speeds, so of course they should do more per clock. They ran their L1 cache with 1 clock cycle access, for example. You can't do that and get decent clock speeds. The only real measurement is IPC x clock speed.

Even performance isn't the most important thing. The Itanium long ago eschewed absolute performance for greater reliability and features relating to that.

It's sad to see x86 win, because it's a garbage instruction set that should have been eliminated years ago. When you consider all the extra silicon, and extra energy used to power this miserable instruction set, times the number of people that use it, and the time they've been using it, the costs are quite high. But, it looks like it might kill yet another instruction set. It's a pretty strong argument for the fact no one really knows anything; no one would have predicted in 1978 that a lousy processor, with an obnoxious instruction set that was hastily thrown together, could possibly have any relevance today. That it is the most significant instruction set in the history of computing over 30 years later, is nothing short of unbelievable. It's also pathetic, and wasteful.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]Wow yea you sure look pro writing insult comments on a forum. Remember when people are real pros they dont mention it or brag about it like you.... makes ne wonder if you're not yet another troll.[/citation]

no, you bring it out to make a point, or at least give some weight to your point of view, granted its not just "im a pro listen to me" its more along the lines of telling your experience.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Criminal acts aren't protected by non-disclosure agreements or no-compete agreements. If HP is in fact paying Intel to keep Itanium alive in an effort to force Oracle to continue developing for Itanium based systems, neither a non-disclosure agreement nor a no-compete agreement would legally prevent Mark Hurd from talking. Now, if HP is paying Intel strictly for their own gains....it's a different story and HP will eventually have to prove it and could possibly take legal action against Mark Hurd as a result.x86-64 has nothing to do with Intel killing off Itanium. Clock for Clock, Itanium outperforms the Opteron processors. What actually hurt the Itanium processor was it's initial inability to execute 32bit code, which was corrected with the Itanium2. Most companies that were likely to buy into the Itanium processors, chose to go the route of the Xeon and Opteron due to native 32bit support.[/citation]
The Itanium CPU's only performs as good as the compiler. x86 processors are much smarter about how they execute code.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Actually Itainium 1 couldn't execute normal 32bit x86 commands. Itainium 2 in fact does have the hardware to run 32bit x86 commands. The sole reason one would want an Itanic processor is the extreme amount of performance it provides on certain workloads. It takes a lot of work to make your software run native IA64, but the performance you gain is 2nd to none.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone with common sense can tell that HP has been the ONLY hardware supporter of IA64/Itanium for years. The AMD Opteron 64bit outsold Itanium in 1 month than what Intel sold in years. Within a year or so, only HP was left. The Opteron was far cheaper, easier to develop and in the end - faster. Sure its crap x86 code. But hey, in the USA - we're still the idiot country that uses miles, feet, gallons while the rest of the world uses the metric system.

Look up OLD articles comparing Opteron to Itanium and you'll see why Itanium became a dead platform. It always has been. The same reason that we are still using crap windows which got its roots from crap MS-DOS which was crap before it even saw the light of day.

But, its is 100% within HP's rights to support and/or pay Intel to make Itaniums. Its also within Orcale or anyone else to NOT support it. If Intel gave a damn about Itanium - you'd know it. They sell thousands of XEON CPUs for every Itanium. They don't care.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
It's HP's problem to build a replacement system to migrate those "critical" users to. It will come to the point where paying out will cost more than loosing those customers or rebuilding a hardware/software solution. HP and Oracle where made for each other, two companies that destroy everything they touch.

@de5_oy Oracle aren't fools, they just incompetent. I've never seen a system run their software actually do what it's suppose to and when it gets close it gets depressed and commits suicide. Our Uni student area (module info, registration, email etc for students) has never worked properly in 4 years (got a major rebuild for this year) and in the last 2 years we've had "catastrophic sever and network failure" which lead to rebuilding the whole system, both hardware and software from the ground up. Most of the failure was based on the student area and all support for it. Again this year they had to rebuild the server based software for the student area. Guess support keeps them in business

soundthinking

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]It's a crime because it impacts the sale of Sun servers...[/citation]
It's not really a crime, it's just business. If I had a server line that was more popular than Sun's line then people would buy from me instead of Sun, it's simple economics. The HP/Intel deal seems shady, but in the end, unless either party is breaking the law I don't see anything wrong here; just one company paying Intel to keep purchasing an inventory of Itanium 1s and 2s, and another going PMS that the other is keeping an old (and apparently still powerful) processor line alive.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You mean how Oracle deciding to stop supporting Itanium and supporting their own Suns impacts HPs sale of servers?[/citation]

I was being sarcastic, but still, oracle is the one claiming HP is in the wrong.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Yeah I agree. I should have added /sarcasm to the end of my line. I don't think there's anything wrong with what HP is doing and Oracle is just getting in a big huff because its hurting their sales.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Here is the other problem with Oracle Sun servers.

Sun Servers are overpriced.

When your competitors such as Dell, and HP offer Servers that are just as powerful as Sun Servers for the fraction of cost. Who do you go with?

Add in that I can run Solaris on any platform I wanted to..

Why buy the over priced Sun Server?

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
[citation][nom]lenell86[/nom]^^ Christ, a bunch of illiterate users that probably have never played with a server, commenting on an article for itanium servers...all of you users that commented should stay out of articles like these and stick to "AMD PHENOM IS BETTER THAN BULLDOZER ZOMG" consumer articles. Don't infest your idiocracy to the more advanced articles, let the pros comment on these, ok? JESUS[/citation]
^This guy got owned.

larkforsure

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
[ Begging for Life] Complaint about IBM China CSR on Centennial

Please Google:

IBM detained mother of ex-employee on the day of centennial
or
How Much IBM Can Get Away with is the Responsibility of the Media
or
Tragedy of Labor Rights Repression in IBM China
or
IBM Advised to Treat its People with Humanism in China

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Even if true, HP paying Intel for support is their call and not a big deal. Regarding Oracle/Sun, of course they want users to buy their stuff. This sounds like competition to me. End users benefit from having options (these are only a couple of the current server offerings available).

I suggest folks stick the arguments at hand and focus on the issue (perceived or otherwise) being discussed and not flame everybody and everything.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I suggest that you avoid any suggestions in the future.

This is stupid. If HP need intel to support Itanium and is paying them to do so who cares? HP is paying for a delivered product. Intel is delivering it. Its NONE of Oracles business. If HP and Intel have a contract to supply and use itanium. And oracle has a contract to support HP. Then its oracles problem. They signed the contract. The are just trying to be anticompetitive and don't want to do the work they signed up for.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]This is stupid. If HP need intel to support Itanium and is paying them to do so who cares? HP is paying for a delivered product. Intel is delivering it. Its NONE of Oracles business. If HP and Intel have a contract to supply and use itanium. And oracle has a contract to support HP. Then its oracles problem. They signed the contract. The are just trying to be anticompetitive and don't want to do the work they signed up for.[/citation]
dude people links here for a reason...
the fact is that back in q3 2010 oracle announced the end of the support for itanium CPU. And HP sue oracle because of these. Now oracle is claiming these and they proceeded to sue HP back.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]literate yourself dude..HP sue oracle for discontinuing the support for itanium. http://arstechnica.com/business/ne [...] -toast.ars[/citation]

I was commenting on THIS article, NOT the one you linked. In THIS article, Oracle is claiming "HP is paying Intel a substantial amount of money to support the perception that the Itanium processor is an actively developed product."

Status
Not open for further replies.