Oracle, AMD Agree on GPU-Accelerated Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Hiii[/nom]I like the idea, and btw how much software is already running on java?[/citation]
Well there's an entire MMORPG made for it (Runescape, worlds largest Java application I think?)
A lot of things use java outside of the computer realm, devices of all kinds.

It was surprising to learn that even my car radio uses java.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I have SLI 8800gt, Q6600 running Runescape on max, I don't even get their max 50 fps. (I don't play RS, this was in the past.) CPU was at like 50% usage, GPU wasn't stressed because going max + AA to medium I actually LOST fps lowering quality. They gotta fix this.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I welcome this as Java is everywhere but it runs slow a molasses. Hopefully the GPU can insert some tangible performance gains. My question though is I really don't understand how a GPU will make Java code any faster. The problem is that most code is serial by design, so I don't understand how using a highly parallel GPU will make Java code run any faster.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Hiii[/nom]I like the idea, and btw how much software is already running on java?[/citation]
Lots of Fortune 500 companies use it on their server-side.

[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]I hate Java, its a coding nightmare.But it is on everything, so this is a win right?[/citation]Have you ever done J2EE? It's awful. Java itself isn't bad, even though the "automatic garbage collection" can lead to nightmares

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I welcome this as Java is everywhere but it runs slow a molasses. Hopefully the GPU can insert some tangible performance gains. My question though is I really don't understand how a GPU will make Java code any faster. The problem is that most code is serial by design, so I don't understand how using a highly parallel GPU will make Java code run any faster.

The GPU won't run Java, the Java will be turned into OpenCL and then run. And GPU's can of course run OpenCL very fast.

[citation][nom]luciferano[/nom]Java on GPUs... That could be incredible if Java was more secure.[/citation]
albeit java needs more security, the reason why coding in java still exists is because its similar to c++(a few keyword changes to change a c++ file into a java file) and the fact that java can be run on any operating system straight away once they have the main java engine installed.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Try uninstalling Java from your web browser and see how far you get.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Try uninstalling Java from your web browser and see how far you get.[/citation]
I removed java months ago and haven't run into any problems with any site I visit or games I play and neither have any friends of mine.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

A lot. Java is huge, java developers are one of the few groups who are still being gobbled up as fast as they can be produced. You'd find it in surprising places, cars, gadgets, and of course lots of smartphone apps.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I removed java months ago and haven't run into any problems with any site I visit or games I play and neither have any friends of mine.[/citation]

The Java runtime environment isn't the Java that web sites use. Tom's uses Java or Javascript (IDK which) to log in, so you're still using some type of Java if you're able to talk to us on these forums. Try going into your browser settings and disabling Java or installing NoScript to disable it and then see what happens.

G

Sence java is converted into openCL then any GPU that supports OpenCL should benifit from this, that would include the Ivy bridge GPUs as well?

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]OpenCLandGPUs[/nom]Sence java is converted into openCL then any GPU that supports OpenCL should benifit from this, that would include the Ivy bridge GPUs as well?[/citation]

I don't think Ivy Bridge actually runs OpenCL code ON the GPU, rather it runs it through the CPU.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]A lot. Java is huge, java developers are one of the few groups who are still being gobbled up as fast as they can be produced. You'd find it in surprising places, cars, gadgets, and of course lots of smartphone apps.[/citation]

Java's OP strength is cross-platform compatibility. Write one Java program, run it on Windows, iOS, Linux, and etc without recompiling it.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]I don't think Ivy Bridge actually runs OpenCL code ON the GPU, rather it runs it through the CPU.[/citation]

Didn't Tom's run tests with OpenCL on the HD 4000? I think that it can run OpenCL, although it might need beta drivers or something like that.

G

Guys, don't knock Java, it is awesome. Java is at the core of most web code out there, might not be on your web browser but it is definitely in the back end controlling most of the data you see. It is not slow at all, it is actually VERY VERY fast compared to most languages. It is even faster than C and C++ in many tasks around things like String manipulation. The development time and tools for Java are also much better and you have a much less chance of bugs. This makes it much better for developing than C/C++ in my humble opinion which basically compile EVERYTHING (so many weird bugs).

I think this is beyond awesome, a hardware JVM has been on my wildest dreams for some time, but this is the next best thing Hardware Accelerated. You can write code that takes advantage of the multiple GPU cores quite easily with languages like Scala (also runs on the JVM) by writing functional style code and the language makes it very easy to go and sort lots of data on multiple cores by simply typing Array.sort().par (.par makes it parallel). Scala compiles down to Java byte code which then runs on the JVM. Of course normal Java rocks too.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I welcome this as Java is everywhere but it runs slow a molasses. Hopefully the GPU can insert some tangible performance gains. My question though is I really don't understand how a GPU will make Java code any faster. The problem is that most code is serial by design, so I don't understand how using a highly parallel GPU will make Java code run any faster.[/citation]
I suppose the pre-compiler will scan the code for safely paralelizable stuff (e.g. independent matrix operations).

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
all android Apps
Java is one of most used languages

Status
Not open for further replies.