Oracle Patches Critical Flaw in Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Well great! I must use Java for my work. I teach remotely over the internet for a large online education company. That is almost 600 teachers and around 100,000 students. They use Blackboard Collaborate. It is Java based and launches it's own window outside the browser. I can't imagine how many other platforms require Java on a daily basis but Oracle needs to make sure it is secure.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I just disabled or uninstalled Java to avoid the issue... I'm curious to see how much trouble it causes (web pages not loading properly). So far (2 days) not one problem.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
There's nothing wrong with Java, but there is something wrong with the company managing its compiler.

Java allows programs to be ported across many OSes or platforms with minimal efforts, thus decreasing bugs and project costs.

However, I do not like Oracle's efforts at making Java secure.

[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]I just disabled or uninstalled Java to avoid the issue... I'm curious to see how much trouble it causes (web pages not loading properly). So far (2 days) not one problem.[/citation]If you're not running Java applications and/or applets you shouldn't encounter any problems.

The web browser deals with JavaScript which is different than an an application developed using the Java programming language and requires the JRE to be able to run it.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
My institution's primary reporting software is incompatible with Java 7.
We cannot upgrade it, because we do not produce the base components our flavor of this software runs on.

We have no choice but to leave ourselves unsecured; disabling 6 is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.