Oracle Solaris? Is this unix?

Aug 6, 2015
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, i didn't see just a basic "OS" section

So i'm working with my professor on a Research project. and we are using data that is a direct public release from nasa, however i am told that i need a unix based OS to run the app which will allow me to study the data. i hate a spare hard-drive i want to install a unix OS onto and have that be my Schoolwork drive.
i know nothing about unix

Is Linux basically the same thing? would they have the same OS requirements? (i know Ubuntu is the one of the populars for linux)

And Oracle Solaris claims to be unix based, but i'm also reading that it's a server OS and i'm not sure what it is or what i need exactly

Once UNIX up and running, your next step is to try getting a pair of programs up and running on your computer: IRAF (a package of astronomer's programs) and DS9 (an astronomy image manipulation tool).

Here is where IRAF can be downloaded:
http://iraf.noao.edu/

And here is where DS9 can be downloaded:
http://ds9.si.edu/site/Home.html

Once you have these programs up and running, you can find the SMC galaxy dataset at this FTP site:
ftp://ftp.astrouw.edu.pl/ogle/ogle3/maps/smc/

You'll want to download and extract everything in the maps and ref_images directories. The README file and fields.txt file will also come in handy. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Directly quoted off my professors e-mail

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Solaris is one of the few operating systems that has the right to call itself UNIX. So yes, it is UNIX. It is not just a server OS but is widely used on workstations, particularly in academic institutions.

FreeBSD is a true UNIX, but is not certified and so cannot actually call itself UNIX.

Linux was based on the ideas of UNIX, but is not a true UNIX and certainly cannot call itself UNIX.

All are used both in servers and in workstations. I suspect that, for your purposes, any would do.

In short linux is "unixy". Linux is well adopted by the scientific community. If you come across a project that claims unix requirements they probably means that it runs on unix/bsd/linux/macos

Please also note that installing software of linux is different than windows. You generally use 'repositories' that function like app/play store for most software instead of installing from random websites unless your software is unavailable in the repository. If it is not available in a repository you need to compile the program from source before you can run it!

Almost assuredly you will be ok and receive best support with ubuntu;)

randomizer

Champion
Linux is Unix-like in the sense that its design is heavily inspired by Unix, but it is not technically Unix. It has not been certified as conforming to the Single Unix Specification and so can't bear the UNIX trademark. The software that your professor wants you to use has builds for Linux and so it is fine to use it. In fact if there is software available for any certified Unix OS it probably exists for Linux as well, unless it is proprietary.

McHenryB

Admirable
Solaris is one of the few operating systems that has the right to call itself UNIX. So yes, it is UNIX. It is not just a server OS but is widely used on workstations, particularly in academic institutions.

FreeBSD is a true UNIX, but is not certified and so cannot actually call itself UNIX.

Linux was based on the ideas of UNIX, but is not a true UNIX and certainly cannot call itself UNIX.

All are used both in servers and in workstations. I suspect that, for your purposes, any would do.

Solution

I did not say it is not (and that's probably the reason there is OS/X port for these apps).

What I wanted to say was that from end-user point of view, handling this from ready-made, well supported OS would be easier than first installing / configuring / debugging Linux / Solaris (in dual-boot, no less), then finding out how to install / configure the apps themselves.

McHenryB

Admirable
How do you know? And is spending $1000+ really the simplest solution for a cash-strapped student?

Perhaps it use X Window; perhaps there are no OS X ports of this particular software. I think the OP is sensible to stick to the Professor's instructions.

1. There are OSX ports for both packages.
2. OSX runs not only on $1000 MacBooks. $300 Mac Mini runs circles around Airs and Books.

Don't take me wrong - I am not an Apple fan. I am just trying the OP to make the right decision - whether he wants to spend a week (or month) trying to dual-boot, setup, configure, install a Linux / Solaris / BSD system, or get off-the-shelf ready-made system and start his/her scientific work.