Oracle Starts Appeal Process in Java Case Against Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Everytimes theres an article that includes lawsuits and such, i just think a bunch of monkeys flinging shit at each other. Thats how the companies are nowdays.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Everytimes theres an article that includes lawsuits and such, i just think a bunch of monkeys flinging shit at each other. Thats how the companies are nowdays.[/citation]Please don't insult monkeys that way, they're an important part of an ecosystem - unlike lawyers.

InvalidError

Titan
Pretty sure there is some prior art denying the copyrightability of header files in cases like SCO vs IBM/Novell and since headers effectively describe the user-accessible parts of an API, that seems to me like it should make it pretty difficult to copyright the API definition itself.

Programming anything proprietary under a GNU/BSD would become effectively impossible if API definitions/headers were copyrighted and licensed as any flavor of GPL-like license. Imagine GNU suing Oracle for not publishing their code if the FSF discovered that Sun/Oracle used libraries with GPL'd headers in their Java implementation.

Since Sun originally created Java as an open standard to encourage programmers to write client-side software that runs on top of Sun-powered back-end servers rather than make profit directly off of it, I hope Oracle will not have much luck retroactively rewriting the license to make it a closed standard licensed exclusively by Oracle.

Welcome to the world of everyone suing everyone.

G

I don't see the hoopla about this, even Sun/Microsoft's old J runtime suit has more substance in it, but it would be quite wrong favoring Sun/Oracle any further, it has very little commercial interest to it and that shuns everything into camps.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
So, just to recap, since Oracle purchased sun...
1) Effectively alienate all of the OpenOffice developers so that they had to fork it and create LibreOffice
2) Stalled the once promising VirtualBox project. They're still doing releases, but no real improvements.
3) Doing everything they can to Kill MySQL
4) Basically stopped development on OpenSolaris
5) Wasted an incredible amount of time and money in their pissing match with Google over Android, which if they actually win, would probably be the beginning of the end for Java.

There is a reason why people hate this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.