Review Orange Pi 4B Review: Raspberry Pi Competitor Has Built-in A.I.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the comprehensive review, but it misstates some of the cores as ARM Cortex-A54. According to Orange Pi's own website, these are A53's. I believe there's no such thing as an A54.
Also, I think the storage & network benchmarks state the incorrect units (MIPS, instead of MB/sec and Mbps, respectively).

the Orange Pi 4B seems to pull comfortably ahead of its competition: The single-precision performance is especially notable, likely gaining a boost from running in a 64-bit environment instead of the 32-bit of Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi 4.
I was wondering about this. Raspberry Pi needs to get itself into the 64-bit game.

The gap narrows with NEON acceleration enabled, but that's likely a consequence of NEON tasks being executed off the main CPU cluster on the RK3399.
I didn't believe this, when I read it, but it's corroborated by Rockchip's own wiki:
I wonder what it even means...

Here are the specs on the NPU:
I suspect its applicability will be extremely limited by its use of on-chip parameter memory, without a fast connection to a large off-chip memory for paging in larger models. They don't even say how much on-chip memory it has.

However, the product brief does claim:
Supported Frameworks
  • TensorFlow
  • Caffe
  • PyTorch
Which would be good, if true.

Last edited:

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Well, that's another Tom's Hardware review that for whatever reason, talks a lot about cost and price without ever mentioning the price. Odd. Was I supposed to click the subsidized link to Amazon to get that?

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
I'm pretty sure the author is UK-based. Perhaps each region was meant to update the article with pricing information?

They do it a lot, in many articles. Note they talked about price differences in dollars in the article vs other products. Just never mentioned the price of the reviewed piece. I came right off an article for a 43" monitor they liked and had to also click on the Amazon link to see it was $1500. Nope.

Apr 22, 2020
Well, that's another Tom's Hardware review that for whatever reason, talks a lot about cost and price without ever mentioning the price. Odd. Was I supposed to click the subsidized link to Amazon to get that?
Unit price is USD69.9