Ordered the wrong CPU will Newegg let me return it?!

itzblakeb

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I just got a Asus z87 Plus Motherboard and I guess I flubbed and ordered a i5-3570k CPU when I meant to buy a i5-4670k. I didn't notice it until I was about to put the CPU in the motherboard and it's obviously not going to fit so I put it back up and looked and of course it's 1155 vs 1150. They both cost the same right now but the 4570k is 8% off.

I don't mind giving them another $10 for the correct CPU. I'm really worried I'm going to be stuck with a $230 CPU Paperweight because apparently you can't return a CPU to Newegg only swap it out. They're Customer Service is closed right now and I'm really worried.

Solution
Well I've never tried to exchange or return a CPU from Newegg, but I have returned several other items without issue. I imagine you've read this already
http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/181

I had the same issue with a mobo from Newegg a few months back - I ordered the wrong one. In these cases, if the items is not being returned because it's defective, Newegg's policy is that they will not cross-ship. You will need to call them when they open tomorrow and explain the situation. My experience with them has been all positive. They will almost always accommodate you. From my experience I would expect that they would approve the return, but if you want the 4570k now, you'd have to purchase it outright and then wait for the...

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Well I've never tried to exchange or return a CPU from Newegg, but I have returned several other items without issue. I imagine you've read this already
http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/181

I had the same issue with a mobo from Newegg a few months back - I ordered the wrong one. In these cases, if the items is not being returned because it's defective, Newegg's policy is that they will not cross-ship. You will need to call them when they open tomorrow and explain the situation. My experience with them has been all positive. They will almost always accommodate you. From my experience I would expect that they would approve the return, but if you want the 4570k now, you'd have to purchase it outright and then wait for the 3570k to be returned to them and received before they would issue a refund. Plus you'll pay return shipping and a re-stocking fee. So the refund and purchase of the new CPU are two separate transactions. I offered to do the same as what you're thinking - just pay them the extra money for the mobo I wanted, but they said it doesn't work that way. For defective products they will just hold your credit card number, then cross-ship the item, and release the credit card hold when they receive the item back.

And with all of that said, that's the official policy. I've had instances with Newegg where they've waived certain fees and \ or paid the return shipping. They're usually very good about stuff like that. You're not the first person whose mis-ordered an item :)

Solution

Quest_Skyrim

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

As far as I can see from Intel's information about Intel Core i5 there is no such thing like an i5 4570K, where that K means that it have an unlocked multiplier for easier over clocking. What I suppose you meant was that you wanted to buy an i5 4670K or i5 4570 (with stock clock 3.2 and turbo clock 3.6; without access to multiplier in BIOS/UEFI).

Here you have link where both will be side by side: http://ark.intel.com/sv/compare/75048,75043

itzblakeb

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014

I ordered i5-3570K Ivy Bridge. I meant to order i5-4670K Haswell. Sorry