Origin Claims "World's First" with 3D Laptop Sporting SLI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]If it supports Optimus, where the 2 video cards can shut down and just has the on-die Intel graphics, then I'd expect 2 hours or more. But yeah otherwise, like 30 minutes i guess.[/citation]

I'd rather prefer it doesn't. I've read that Optimus is plagued with bugs, such as games defaulting on the IGP instead of the dedicated GPUs, and Nivida is nowhere close to patching them up.

[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]If it supports Optimus, where the 2 video cards can shut down and just has the on-die Intel graphics, then I'd expect 2 hours or more. But yeah otherwise, like 30 minutes i guess.[/citation]
This is LGA 2011, X79 system... NO on-die graphics. As for battery time, I think you are right. The X58 laptops probably use a little more power and they have 20-30 minute batteries.

Since it has no graphics on the CPU and it's highly unlikely that Origin thought to throw in a tiny integrated GPU on the motherboard, you're stuck with at least one of the 580ms running all the time. Besides, Optimus has problems every now and then anyway.

This laptop would be better than many desktops, but that's only including a desktop that costs a fraction of this price... At this price you could throw two or three GTX 580s, a huge PCIe SSD, and an X79 motherboard with 32GB or 64GB of high speed RAM, all with liquid cooling... Hard drives? you could grab two or four 2TB drives and raid them, hue capacity and good sequential performance there.

Get a freeware caching program and use some of the PCIe drive as a cache for the HDD RAID system, it would be a monster machine...

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
A lot of people on this thread are complete morons, and have no idea what the point of these kind of laptops are.

They are ment to be portal gaming PCs. You can go to a LAN party and in one small form factor you have a LCD Screen, your computer and a keyboard all able to fit into a small backpack.

They are NOT ment to be run unplugged (though they can for about 45 minutes to 1 hour if web browsing or what not). But I like to think of the battery as more of a built in UPS, so that your PC doesn't reboot on a powe flicker in the middle of gaming at a LAN (Happens occassionally if there isn't enough power for the amount of PCs hooked up in a single area)

I own a SAGAR and it's awesome for going to LANs on weekend without making a huge move with PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, etc.

If you buy one of these instead of a PC, and have no plans to do LANs or gaming on the go, you're an idiot. If you buy one thinking it's some sort of Nintendo 3DS or PSP that you can game out in public without power plug; you sir, are an idiot.

If you're always moving around (Job that has you living from one hotel to another on business trips, a deployed soldier, or an advid LAN partier) and you want real PC gaming on the go, and buy one of these, you sir are a winner.

GG

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]2 580m in SLI for just a 1080p laptop way overkill and I'm a hardcore gamer but game at 2560 x 1600 with 2 gtx 580s 3gb versions. I also have a Asus G74 Sandy with a single 560 in it and it lasts about 90 min on high performance mode, cant imagine this lap lasting more than 30 min with those specs[/citation]

[citation][nom]thehidecheck[/nom]GTX 580>>>>>GTX 580M[/citation]

[citation][nom]crysex[/nom]2 x GTX 580M = GTX580 x 1.125[/citation]

There we go, although I'm not sure if two GTX 580ms are really better than a single 580, I think they are close. However, these ones are overclocked, so they might trample a stock 580. However, an overclocked 580 can still win. For 3D, the dual 580ms is pretty good. Anything less would be bad. Remember, #d needs double the FPS of 2D gaming because 3D renders one frame per eye whilst 2D renders one frame for both eyes. 3D with dual 580ms is like 2D with a single 580m, except slightly worse (probably not perceptibly worse) due to in-perfect SLI scaling.

You basically have a rough equivalence of a single GTX 580 doing 3D at 1080p, it's about the minimum you'd want for the newest games. I think that it's a rough equivalent of using a Radeon 6850 for 2D 1080p gaming, not bad, but not perfect for the newest of games. Don't knock 3D gaming until you have tried it, it's better than 3D movies. The problem is that you need special monitors and that AMD and Nvidia use different methods to get a 3D picture. A monitor can either work for Nvidia or AMD. A few monitors might support both, but I'm not sure about any that already support AMD and Nvidia 3D. If there are none, I'm not sure of any monitors intended to be built that are to support both 3D technologies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]I agree with you jdog ^^ How can all this power can be sustained by current near worthless lithium batteries that can barely power those tiny smartphones.... laptops with full x86 cpu and gpus... forget it.[/citation]
phones suck in power because they try to be as thin as possible... those batteries are barely the size of a AAA battery (if you go by WxLxH, and not just looking at WxL), i give them credit for preforming as well as they do... laptop batteries aren't held to the same thinner is better, and when they are, they usualy have a docking station that adds a crap ton of functionality, and more battery life.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Ditch the 3D glasses and maybe my wallet will talk, until then ill stick to the Toshiba.http://gizmodo.com/5818162/the-qos [...] -3d-laptop[/citation]

unless you ever play a game in 3d, and i mean a real game made for 3d, not a tack on, you opinion on the 3d is moot. i have played a 3d game a while back with a full head mount display, and when i have the option, as in im not dicking around for hours with crappy drivers trying to get the display to work, to play a game in 3d, there is very little standing in my way.

[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]Who cares about 3D? Its just a coverup for the fact that the graphics aren't getting better because of those stupid ()%*(&)#(*$#$ consoles. I want better graphics!!!! I'll be impressed when we get real holographic projectors. Pseudo 3D is still 2D in the end and nothing else.[/citation]

i take it you never played uncharted 3 in 3d, or mario on the 3ds or zelda on the 3ds.

i also take it that you dont care that games currently cost over 50 million to make and if the graphics YOU want come along, it will jack the prices up even higher, and most likely make the games cost more... you know im perfectly fine with good enough graphics, look at la noire, the animations in that game play a bigger roll than the graphics. there is so much that can currently be done better and keep the same graphic level as we have now, but add so much to the believe ability of the game that better graphics dont matter. look at mafia 2, if that game wasnt a nvidia only for the physics that would be a shining example of why games dont need to look better to look better.

granted im probably talking to someone who wants a game to require a 3 1000$ gpu sli setup to even start up a game at 1280x720 only to play the game at 20fps, but its taxing on the gpu and looks pretty, because thats all that matters right?

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Wonderful, a $3k laptop that supports this gimmick 3D that won't be around much longer.I bet it'll play Crysis, though, if the battery doesn't die by time the computer boots up.[/citation]

when you play a game made for 3d, you will realize its not a gimmick

[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]I so agree with this that it's not even funny. The last 3-D movie I watched (Harold & Kumar Christmas) = the movie was decent - but the technology was an absolute joke in terms of the 3-D it actually used. It's a complete gimmick and I'd be surprised if game developers were taking advantage of this technology. I'm sure they think it's a joke.[/citation]

you went to a stoner comedy movie in 3d and expected avatar level of atmospheric 3d? im sorry but you comment is pointless just because of that.

harold and kumar in 3d showed you exactly what the 3d was going to be in the trailers and you went there and expected anything else?

3d in movies is either 1 of 3 things.
1) a 2d conversion, which can look nice, but over all craptacular
2) filmed in 3d, or had cg parts for the 3d, these are the more gimmicky movies which have their place, tell me a horror movie that is done well in 3d doesn't make the jump scares just that much scarier. woman agains a wall, knife comes through the wall and pops out at the audience. or in the harold and kumar, its MENT TO BE A JOKE FOR THE LULZ
3) complete atmospheric and imersive 3d, like in avatar, where its their, and it enhances the movie. best example i can give of that is avatar or hugo...

before you talk about 3d being a gimmick, watch a well made movie in 3d, or play a well made 3d game (uncharted 3) and than tell us if you like it or not, till than, just say nothing has stood out, you cant see it, or whatever else, but just stop calling it a gimmick just because you expect god to come out and shake your hand and are dissapointed

[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]A lot of people on this thread are complete morons, and have no idea what the point of these kind of laptops are.They are ment to be portal gaming PCs. You can go to a LAN party and in one small form factor you have a LCD Screen, your computer and a keyboard all able to fit into a small backpack.They are NOT ment to be run unplugged (though they can for about 45 minutes to 1 hour if web browsing or what not). But I like to think of the battery as more of a built in UPS, so that your PC doesn't reboot on a powe flicker in the middle of gaming at a LAN (Happens occassionally if there isn't enough power for the amount of PCs hooked up in a single area)I own a SAGAR and it's awesome for going to LANs on weekend without making a huge move with PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, etc. If you buy one of these instead of a PC, and have no plans to do LANs or gaming on the go, you're an idiot. If you buy one thinking it's some sort of Nintendo 3DS or PSP that you can game out in public without power plug; you sir, are an idiot.If you're always moving around (Job that has you living from one hotel to another on business trips, a deployed soldier, or an advid LAN partier) and you want real PC gaming on the go, and buy one of these, you sir are a winner.GG[/citation]
my parrents complain about the same things, and than they complain to me when they see a quoted "6 hours" of battery life in other products.

[citation][nom]5tvungji[/nom]Not sure why they call them laptops. Portable desktops seems a more fitting title.[/citation]

Performance wise, yeah they can be considered portable desktops with a huge price premium, but they are in the form-factor of a laptop and thus called a laptop. Just because a laptop is very expensive and high-performing doesn't mean it isn't a laptop anymore.

G

those of you who dont care about 3d propably never tried it. i did, and i love it. it adds a whole new level to games, exspecialy fps games.

and the thing is No other laptop has Sli AND 3D vision.

and i would realy like to buy it, since one im not always at my home, i have a life i have things to do. i cant drag my desktop everywhere i go. but a super laptop i can do.

so dont be a hater, accept your reasoning is flawed.
bit expensive though T.T

corpsbeginners

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
true GG. We have a desktop,but i can bring it anywhere i go. so i just love my notebook and my netbook. try carrying ur system to the other side of the world, as i frequently do, laptop haters.. each of the system has their own strengths and weakness. and a wise man will not ridicule a thing he did not understand.. i can game and watch movies, play songs, go online instead of overseas call, make reports, even Lan party with my co-workers.

corpsbeginners

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
i read somewhere in other thread that an enthusiast just call the laptop haters "non-user". comparing the power of a bulky, full of wires and peripherals desktop to a one piece, slim, folding, portable, very small factor pc called laptop.
for portability and size, yes u have to sacrifice power and cost. its plain and simple.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
"Origin Claims "World's First" with 3D Laptop Sporting SLI"
another origin advertising. it's not the FIRST 3D laptop sporting SLI. there were others before this one.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
If I'm dropping over 3K on a laptop, can you please make it not look like it's from the 90's? A little styling would be nice.

Also, this thing is pointless. Only an uber nerd would lug this thing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.