Origin PC Eon11-S: Great Gaming Performance From A Tiny Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]It's based off a Clevo barebones, so it's the same as the Sager NP6110 which starts at $899http://www.sagernotebook.com/index [...] ame=NP6110I just wish they'd offer a screen better than 1366x768 (at least 1440x900 or such)[/citation]

There is a bios mod for some crazy OC on the GPU. Although you are right amuffin, the GDDR3 on the GT 650m is a let down. You can get the W150ER at similar price (also has a bios mod for OC) with GT 650m GDDR5 although it is a 15 inch (but 1080p screen).

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
shame about the resolution but a 11 inch mobile gaming machine is pretty appealing to me. i could get a few sneaky rounds on BF3 whilst on the toilet at work....

besterino

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I have that thing (Clevo W110ER barebone that is) from a German retailer with a slightly slower CPU (i7 3612QM), a matte screen and without that HyperPerformace. Sure it doesn't game as fast as some bigger ones, but hell does it replace a business notebook, in particular on trips where I can spend the night in the hotel playing my favorite games (e.g. borderlands 2 runs perfectly)!

That's what I use it for (since about 4 months now):

1. At the workplace (yeah, byod kinda allowed) for office applications with 2 external screens where it performs better than anything they have there.

2. At home for media stuff attached via HDMI to the HDTV / Receiver
and

3. On private/business trips as my reliable companion, because, yup, it can game! It is simply small and light (enough)!

In short - you may have guessed it already - I just love it.

There is room for improvement: keyboard basically kinda sucks (but good enough for gaming and typing on the road), screen could also be better (although I don't need higher resolution - you hardly can read fonts at 100% size on the 11.6" size anyways) and I'd kill for a docking solution (which simply isn't available for the W110ER). But that's just my 5 cents and to me - at this time - there is no better companion than this little thingie combining mobility and gaming at a reasonable form/size factor.

If you can tolerate an 11.6" display
I can only imagine the back pain being stooped over with my nose 4" away from the panel. Origin's other offerings are much more appealing though more expensive. My pick would be one the 17" options: SLI EON17-SLX or EON17-S, and I get for some $1,550-$1,860 plus isn't cheap nor 8.6 pounds light.

Origin notebooks - http://www.originpc.com/Laptops/Compare/?COMPARE=GAMINGLAPTOPS

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
What I'm concerned about for something like "high performance in a small package" laptops are its temperatures all over in what would be considered full load. Doesn't have to be 100% everything, just something that would stress the machine a little.

ntgam1ng

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Lenovo Y580, got one my self Ivy bridge 3610qm quad core i7, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, GTX660m 2gb GDDR 5 will leave this one in the dust as far as graphics/ram performance goes.... it has a slight edge in cpu performance but at what cost? (300mhz) base and turbo isnt much.

[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]There is a bios mod for some crazy OC on the GPU. Although you are right amuffin, the GDDR3 on the GT 650m is a let down. You can get the W150ER at similar price (also has a bios mod for OC) with GT 650m GDDR5 although it is a 15 inch (but 1080p screen).[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that there is no GDDR3 on any graphics cards with a 28nm GPU and that anyone saying otherwise is mistaken just like anyone saying that there are DDR5 cards is mistaken. It's almost definitely DDR3, not GDDR3.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I paid mine 1020 or so from xoticpc, with same spec except HD is Intel 520 120gb 500mb+ read and write, with OS and external DVD drive, which is a previous gen format that's not much usable anymore. Also, my ram is DDR3-1600mhz as opposed to DDR3-1333. This one is way overpriced.

I play Guild War 2 to TV 1080 output via HDMI. It's really a powerful, small laptop that match against 13 or 14 gaming laptops. Only wish that graphic card was DDR5 instead of DDR3.

[citation][nom]burmese_dude[/nom]I paid mine 1020 or so from xoticpc, with same spec except HD is Intel 520 120gb 500mb+ read and write, with OS and external DVD drive, which is a previous gen format that's not much usable anymore. Also, my ram is DDR3-1600mhz as opposed to DDR3-1333. This one is way overpriced.I play Guild War 2 to TV 1080 output via HDMI. It's really a powerful, small laptop that match against 13 or 14 gaming laptops. Only wish that graphic card was DDR5 instead of DDR3.[/citation]

Good luck with DDR5. There isn't a single device with it in the market and there probably won't be until around 2019 or 2020.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
With such a low screen res, isn't the spec a touch of overkill? With an A10 apu running every game but Metro at this res why would you shell out the extra wonga?

G

"720p HDTV (an unnecessary and unfortunate artifact of over-scan adoption)"

Actually, I quite like my 32inch 720p HDTV. I picked one up last year. I found it to have a much better picture than the 1080p HDTVs at that size (I had a physical limitation of 32inch). It provides a crisp, clear image with no noticeable pixels - even at close inspection. I don't see why all the hate on 720p.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Why can't more laptop manufacturers' use bigger intake vents for their high-end laptops like Origin did with theirs?

My N61Jq has an i7-720qm and a Radeon HD 5730 Mobility, but the intake vent is about 1.5cm by 5cm, which is not including the grills. If I don't remove the backpanel, then the laptop will heat up to around 90 C, and the left side of the keyboard would start to burn my fingers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Why all the hate Nate[/nom]"720p HDTV (an unnecessary and unfortunate artifact of over-scan adoption)"Actually, I quite like my 32inch 720p HDTV. I picked one up last year. I found it to have a much better picture than the 1080p HDTVs at that size (I had a physical limitation of 32inch). It provides a crisp, clear image with no noticeable pixels - even at close inspection. I don't see why all the hate on 720p.[/citation]It's nothing to do about likeability. Developers started out with 2 options to deal with overscan, use a 1280x720 screen and upscale the main image of analog signals less so that overscan would fit, or upscale the main image of analog signals to 1280x720 and force manufacturers to use an over-resolution 1366x768 screen. The later method was chosen, forcing digital 720p to loose its pixel-to-pixel focus.

It's not a big deal, but it's still "a deal". 720p video shouldn't need to be upscaled to fit a 720p screen.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hm... I did mean to ask you this in another post, because I was wondering why you say "DDR3" but "GDDR5" when referring to the 3rd and 5th gen. I remember Wikipedia (which of course could be wrong) saying that it's really "GDDR" which is different from plain "DDR" found with regular system RAM (for instance GDDR5 is based on DDR3 while GDDR3 is based on DDR2), though (by what I see) the latter (e.g. DDR3) can be used when the context of graphics memory is obvious in a statement, but still pertains to GDDR3. Is what I know wrong? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.