Origin PC Goes Mad With Discounts on Titan-Z Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Van Deventer

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
...Maybe banking on tech websites to blast their promotional offer all over the web and look like a bunch of regular Good Guy Gregs is cheaper than traditional advertising tactics?

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone who spends $3000 for a video card is either stupid or stupid rich.

Or they are professionals and their technical needs are significantly different and more demanding than gamers/enthusiasts. Maybe the Titan-Z is over-priced, but a $3000 Quadro/Firepro is not over-priced. But, I get your point....a $3000 GPU for gaming, or bragging rights, is somewhat a little absurd. Yet, $3000 to some people(like me) is like $300 to a wealthy person.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
This sale is insane. I went through their pricing and for a full system, OS and all, it's about $5800 for nice cooling, case, high end CPU, 1200 watt psu, more than enough ram and 2x titan Z's, a 240GB SSD,..... that's a really awesome deal.

2x Titan Z's are 6k alone on newegg. If you estimate that the rest of the hardware, build cost, warranty, etc and software comes up to a $1200 - $1500 value... that leaves about $4500 for 2x Titan Z's.

Not bad at all. Ya it's pricey, but it's really not THAT bad. $6k for a PC, if you keep it for 2 years would come up to $250 a month. That's chump change to most people.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I would not necessarily think they are going to go bankrupt because of this. The margins on high-end stuff, in general, are bound to be high. I almost would not be surprised if each Titan Z costs them about $1,500 or so.

OTOH, maybe they are trying to dump their stock because the Titan Z's are not selling.

Ben Van Deventer

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
This sale is insane. I went through their pricing and for a full system, OS and all, it's about $5800 for nice cooling, case, high end CPU, 1200 watt psu, more than enough ram and 2x titan Z's, a 240GB SSD,..... that's a really awesome deal.

2x Titan Z's are 6k alone on newegg. If you estimate that the rest of the hardware, build cost, warranty, etc and software comes up to a $1200 - $1500 value... that leaves about $4500 for 2x Titan Z's.

Not bad at all. Ya it's pricey, but it's really not THAT bad. $6k for a PC, if you keep it for 2 years would come up to $250 a month. That's chump change to most people.

It's still terrible "frames per second" value: why pat yourself on the back for spending $4500 on two titan Z's... when you can spend $1340 for two 780 Ti's, which still deliver 87% of the performance at 30% of the price.

pxl9190

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hopefully by the time one receive the machine Nvidia still hasn't announced the GTX880.
Otherwise those who think of selling the extra Titan Z on ebay would have a very hard time fetching a meaningful amount....

bmdc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Despite all your downvotes, I think you're right. you can get two R9 295X2's for the same price as a Titan Z and absolutely dominate it in performance. Not only that, from every benchmark I've ever seen an R9 295X2 beats a TitanZ for half the price.

bmdc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Or they are professionals and their technical needs are significantly different and more demanding than gamers/enthusiasts. Maybe the Titan-Z is over-priced, but a $3000 Quadro/Firepro is not over-priced. But, I get your point....a $3000 GPU for gaming, or bragging rights, is somewhat a little absurd. Yet, $3000 to some people(like me) is like $300 to a wealthy person.

Until you find that your workstation app plugins dont work on it because its not a quaddro.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

It's still terrible "frames per second" value: why pat yourself on the back for spending $4500 on two titan Z's... when you can spend $1340 for two 780 Ti's, which still deliver 87% of the performance at 30% of the price.

There are always diminishing returns when you go higher up the GPU ladder. But it's not like these things are targeting just gaming performance. They're clearly a gaming and professional hybrid card.

Obviously they lack value in terms of pure gaming, but if you're a professional who would utilize these things to their full potential, and want it to game on the side, they certainly have some value then, especially with such a dramatic markdown of about $1500 over 2 cards.

Ben Van Deventer

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

There are always diminishing returns when you go higher up the GPU ladder. But it's not like these things are targeting just gaming performance. They're clearly a gaming and professional hybrid card.

Obviously they lack value in terms of pure gaming, but if you're a professional who would utilize these things to their full potential, and want it to game on the side, they certainly have some value then, especially with such a dramatic markdown of about $1500 over 2 cards.

The 'markdown' that you're so hung up on / excited about is just the absence of the original artificial 'markup' that was in no way ever linked to actual performance.

Again, you can get almost 90% of the performance (in any scenario) by spending LESS THAN A THIRD of what these two Titans would cost you.

You sound like a girl who's so excited that her new $300 shoes were marked down from $900! What a bargain! -_-

Mcgovern

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

So what your saying is hey everybody look at me I'm rich...supposedly.

Mcgovern

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

6k for a PC....You still live in your parents basement don't you?

Mcgovern

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

SO what your saying is hey look at me I'm supposedly rich.......

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Well how about 2 titans black?, they have better performance and they still half the $4500 price you calculate

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
This is not going mad, going mad is sell a $3000 GPU (for gamers, because nvidia fan boys accept it, they advertise this card as a gaming card). This is realize that they can´t fool consumers and try to repair the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.