Origin PC Has a New Thin & Light High-Performance Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I never understood the appeal of light gaming or workstation laptops. Nobody plays heavy games or develops with the laptop on their lap. These laptops spend 90% of their life on a desk, where weight is not a very important factor.
You could argue that it's easier to haul around, but a 7lb 15" laptop isn't much harder to carry than a 4lb 15" laptop, unless you have muscle atrophy.
In my case, my workstation is on a desk at home, I put it in a bag, carry it 15 meters to my car, drive to work, carry it a bit to my desk, and it stays there until the end of the day.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ Spac3nerd

It's not about the weight but convenience, time, and logistics. Having been to my share of LAN parties, a gaming laptop saves lots of time and energy by not having to deal with hauling, managing, & plugging in all types of cables between the tower, monitor, peripherals and no issue with enough working space to set up shop. Less time with these issues equals more time gaming.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ Spac3nerd

It's not about the weight but convenience, time, and logistics. Having been to my share of LAN parties, a gaming laptop saves lots of time and energy by not having to deal with hauling, managing, & plugging in all types of cables between the tower, monitor, peripherals and no issue with enough working space to set up shop. Less time with these issues equals more time gaming.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
@ Spac3nerd

Sorry if the word "workstation" implied a desktop. I mean to say "mobile workstation", as in a laptop that has workstation-grade hardware and warranty support.
I can see how hauling a desktop computer might be quite the inconvenience in that use case.

G

Eh, laptops never where my thing. Too expensive for the performance. But it's still impressive how much computing power can be crammed into such a small enclosure. If I were a student who could get grants for such things, I'd probably buy one. This would kill anything Apple has to offer!

G

Very true, for that amount of money you could make on hell of a strong machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.