Origin PC Releases EON17-SLX Gaming Laptop With Desktop-Class Nvidia GTX 980, Dual-GPU Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
So they include a Desktop 980, but still are sitting on 1080p monitors. I feel like the system designers aren't really properly balancing these laptops. I'd throw an expensive higher resolution screen on there. I mean tablets are shipping with screens nearly as big with higher resolutions, I imagine they could throw them on their highest end laptops with desktop grade graphic chips

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
DeadlyDays,
In some ways I agree with you. As a recent buyer of a laptop, who never intends to plug it into an external monitor, I don't need to spend money on a more expensive graphics solution than that necessary to run the laptop display at acceptable levels for me. I bought a cyberpower that had a 1080 ips display. I went with the 970m graphics option, due to the extreme cost and lack of value in going with the 980m(I might on my own swap in a 980m, but it's still not a real powerful graphics setup). I'm not going to need more muscle than that needed to run 1080 well.
Here's where I disagree with you. A single 980 won't run 4k effectively, only 1440, and frankly 1440 is rapidly becoming obsolescent. I've never seen a laptop with a 1440 display, although it is intriguing. Until there's a laptop that has 980tis in sli, there's no need to buy a laptop with a display of more than 1080, if you plan on gaming, due to the lack of graphics processing muscle. Unless you run your display at lower resolutions........

Graham71

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
If they make a laptop with a PCI Express slot able to take any desktop card I'll be interested. Nvidia GPU's burning out in Laptop's is very costly.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
So they include a Desktop 980, but still are sitting on 1080p monitors. I feel like the system designers aren't really properly balancing these laptops. I'd throw an expensive higher resolution screen on there. I mean tablets are shipping with screens nearly as big with higher resolutions, I imagine they could throw them on their highest end laptops with desktop grade graphic chips

Well, what about if the user wants to be able to play new games in 2019 in medium to high settings at full 4K? They can't. So 1080p is better for longevity with gaming if you don't like running a 4K monitor at 1K resolution.

I would have been amazed if they were able to put dual 980 non m GPUS in a laptop. Would need a 400W AC adapter or so! Dual 980m + an unlocked 6820HK is plenty already. At least a 330w AC adapter required.

matm347

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Graham71, they do make an external PCIe slot that uses a laptops internal PCIe, cable, external PSU and monitor. They go for ~$60.

I've been keeping my eye on Origin for my next gaming laptop since Alienware went to Dell with zero custom config options (what were they thinking!!!??!!??). I'm digging the powerful single GPU!

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
If you haven't seen a laptop with a 1440p screen yet you must not be living in the present day. Aside from Apple having high res laptops for years now, a simple search can show you dozens of laptops currently available with 4k screens. 1440p is not asking for much on a laptop like this and a 980 is more than capable of handling it and higher. Gaming at 4k on max settings is another story, but running your desktop at 4k with that card is no struggle.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Alot of modern laptops have a slotted graphics system that is similar to PCIe. It's removable and swap-able. My cyberpower has it, as do many others: MSI, Alienware(Dell), Asus, etc.
I would be curious to see how the new laptops that have desktop 980s in them implement em, if it's the same chips put on the laptop cards, or if it's in a true PCIe card. I'd bet it's the former. This will open a few options for upgrading, and guarantee that you'd never find a 1080 game that was too much for your graphics.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Being overpowered has two benefits:
A) Future-proofing. The GPU will be able to hold its own longer.
B) External displays. If you have a 27" 1440p/120hz monitor, the laptop can handle it.

Well, what about if the user wants to be able to play new games in 2019 in medium to high settings at full 4K? They can't. So 1080p is better for longevity with gaming if you don't like running a 4K monitor at 1K resolution.

I would have been amazed if they were able to put dual 980 non m GPUS in a laptop. Would need a 400W AC adapter or so! Dual 980m + an unlocked 6820HK is plenty already. At least a 330w AC adapter required.

No new news here and no need to wait till 2019:

1. They already have 4k screens in laptops,

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np9758-special.html

-15.6” Full HD 16:9 LED-Backlit (1920 x 1080) Clear LG IPS MATTE G-SYNC™ Technology - ETA 11/20/2015 $0.0
-15.6” 4K QFHD 16:9 Wide screen (3840x2160) ) SAMSUNG Clear Matte G-SYNC™ Technology (ETA 11/27/2015 + $125

2. They also have had SLI in Clevo laptops for about 10 years

If they make a laptop with a PCI Express slot able to take any desktop card I'll be interested. Nvidia GPU's burning out in Laptop's is very costly.

This has also been done..... via the use of docking stations. Was popular in the mid 90s and went thru a resurgence recently with MSI's offerings.... tho the latter MSI effort was a bit *off* from a form factor perspective in my view.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gaming-dock-laptop-haswell,27606.html

Nesquicks

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Wait, how did no one notice the fact that the gtx 980 is an 8GB part? Should be interesting to see benchmarks against the 4GB one

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have owned one of these. And i can assure you they are not laptops. They are portable desktops with an lcd screen. And their cost is very high as well. Build quality is however, superior. Also you can flash the BIOS to install future GPUs. But yeah no suggested if you are looking high portability

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
On this screen size anything above 1080p in my opinion is just f. stupid so a choice of having 1080p screen is awesome because that 980 setup will give you a lot of years of good experience.

Perhaps they wanted the GTX 980 (Desktop) to give the system the "Oculus Ready" badge. It would be one of very few laptops capable of pushing the graphics recommended...
Just a thought since everyone was talking about it being overpowered for a 1080p screen.

FYI for those that didn't know
980m < GTX 980 (desktop)
The same number doesn't equal the same performance

cynic77

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
The EON12-SLX can be configured with... Currently, the EON12-SLX features...

@Derek Forrest - Two typos referring to the EON*12*-SLX. :)

From price point of view better than crap called Microsoft Surface Book, not to mention how much more power and features has.

@red77star - You're dissing an extremely different laptop designed for a completely different user. If you like carrying around a 10.5 pound laptop, albeit with performance parts, but with a screen using 2007 technology and 3 hours of battery life at *best* (i.e., like typing up a Word doc), then good for you. However, for those people who want a different work/play balance or a different definition of performance (e.g., a beautiful screen, lightweight, and long battery life), then the Surface Book (or Surface Pro) works for them. It's got a drop-dead gorgeous screen... have you even seen it?

On this screen size anything above 1080p in my opinion is just f. stupid so a choice of having 1080p screen is awesome because that 980 setup will give you a lot of years of good experience.

@red77star - I totally disagree. This laptop will feel old the day you get it. Everywhere you go (most) people will ask you why you have such an old laptop, assuming it's a boat anchor from 5-10 years ago. You mention the word "choice," which is the biggest farce in this whole debate. The fact is that the laptop manufacturers (e.g., Clevo) or integrators (e.g., Origin PC) aren't giving you a choice! They're sticking you with a lousy 1080p screen. OK, the 980M or desktop 980 can't play intensive games at 4k. So what? EVERYTHING else you do on this laptop would look better with a higher res screen. You're willing to suffer with a crappy screen just because current graphics technology isn't powerful enough for higher res gaming? I'm sorry, but I think *that's* just f. stupid!

Gordo-IO

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
This is silly. Nothing about thermal considerations. Desktop processors and high end GPUs require amps and make heat.

The mobile chips all use less amps, make less heat, and are always significantly less powerful than the desktop chip with the same name minus the m.

I say show me the benchmarks of the laptop vs the desktop. You also need to show me the thermal solutions used in these laptops. The thermal design must be very impressive to permit the use of actual desktop chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.