Origin PC Shows Us How To Build A Case With Project Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

MxMatrix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Awesome, nice view of the development process ... Looks like Origin is dethowning Alienware slowly on design cases.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
This does feel similar to the Tiki article, although the Tiki was focused on the entire system and the interplay of its components in a small space, while this is focused on just a flexible case. I was hoping for a more in-depth look, and not a picture story either.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Oh look, an advertisement--I mean article--for a sponsor.
Origin came to us wanting to talk about the company's new case, and I came up with an educational angle relating to case development. Our editorial team is separate from the ad guys.
But didn't you guys cover a similar process for the Tikki?
We did something different with the Tiki. In fact, the interest in that piece was what got me thinking about ways to do this one--I wanted it to be different.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
What an ugly, ugly BORING case. Wow so impressive - another rectangle with some hard edges. Nothing to see here folks, keep moving . . .

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
What an ugly, ugly BORING case. Wow so impressive - another rectangle with some hard edges. Nothing to see here folks, keep moving . . .
Well look at it this way, I have a Case that is simple, and not some "Eyesore" that some of these cases are made, the fact is good I have a CPU that currently is both Powerful, but also both Energy Efficient and Quiet too which makes it worth it, some of these Cases I see probably do little to Isolate Noise.

ticho66

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
These type cases remind me of the last big ugly gas guzzling American cars. You know the "battleships" with some fins or an odd rounded edge. The death rattle of the American car makers' arrogance. These cases are the same thing. A few angles and areo-dynamic flair on a dying paradigm.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
and yet all i want is the case. Who cares about the hype when you can not just purchase the case.I don't want to buy a full blown pc from them to get the case. The case is what is important.

rRansom

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Not sure if trolling or...But really, it's not that bad of a case. Just imagine the possiblity of it having four different orientations, without having to do some major hardware modifications to make it happen [I'm talking about cutting a piece here and there to facilitate the changes]. Like Emanuel Elmo, I'm also interested in getting just the case. The only time the case would not make sense was if you wouldn't be filling her up to the bring. Then again, I'd probably go with a CaseLabs STH10. :)

hairy_guy

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
These type cases remind me of the last big ugly gas guzzling American cars. You know the "battleships" with some fins or an odd rounded edge. The death rattle of the American car makers' arrogance. These cases are the same thing. A few angles and areo-dynamic flair on a dying paradigm.
It seems they forgot about the mini itx guys too :(

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Why cant someone make a fully modular inside for a case.For me personally, I don't care how the case looks (it can literally look like a pile of dog crap), I just want good airflow and a good amount of space, cable routing, and the ability to move things around to better utilize the space inside the case).Someone needs to build the lego of computer cases, allow me to mount just about anything in nay part of the case.

john_bossi

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for this. Not everyone are seasoned pc veterans like some of these commentators and actually appreciate these articles.

Joshua Fricke

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
just another boring stupid case. wait, whats that on the side of those pictures? Words? yuck. Should have given us a feature list instead. lol jk. nice case. I reall like the bay that can house the radiators of 12 hdds.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
very nice case really, I would love to own one, I really like the HDD or Rad Bay down te bottom and I can finally put in all my components in upside down for fun without having to drill endless holes every where and turning my case into an ant hill

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Nice read, only missing three pieces of info: a) value added time vs waiting time over the course of the project b) dollar budget from concept to launch, excluding marketing activities c) marketing budget.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Yeah I have that very same case and I do agree that NZXT makes probably the best cases right now but this is still a fairly good case.

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Nice article/pictorial. Always interesting to see the design process involved. In my opinion CaseLabs makes the finest enclosures on the market. Would like to see a story on them.

Sep 22, 2013
I usually love the look of these custom systems but I hate that you can't just buy the case. Rarely if ever do I see a custom pre-built where the end product cost is justified.

What usually see is a 60-70% increase for labor and the custom case in comparison to an equivalent system.

I'd love to see these guys offer the case alone, even if it was $300-400.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Well if you are in the Seattle Area, I know RE-PC has got many very good and Simple Cases they sell, something that would save you money and if you want to stick to some Tradition of having a Computer, I was lucky to find my Case when I was at one of the Thrift Stores for about $1 and I cleaned it up too, and now my system is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.