Origin Unveils Omega HTPCs, But Don't Call Them Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is insanely overpriced. Essentially a $5-600 PC for the low low price of only $1000+. Hope not too many people get suckered into these deals.

Also, Tom's: It would be in your bed interest to call companies out on the carpet when they release this kind of crap. Over-priced junk is the single most damaging thing to the overall PC industry. Calling a few companies out on the carpet like you did with the power strip series of articles would only be good for you. I have no issue paying a premium for premium equipment, but an 80%+ markup is crazy.

If that picture is actually correct, then apparently Origin is using Silverstone as the OEM for their cases. The two models on the ends are the SUGO, and the ones in the middle look like Raven series.

As a SUGO owner myself, I think that's a great case to use!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Why would anyone want to overclock their HTPC? I build them and I have 3 myself right now. They are all designed to run with minimal power and can easily host blu-ray, etc content from my servers, live TV, etc. And all of them can even game to a moderate level. Although I also don't see a need for an external GPU on the HTPC either. One of the niche that APUs are very good at. If you're making a console replacement, that would be another story, but for an HTPC, no....

Yep... that's a Silverstone raven RVZ01 in the middle..... Just with the raven logo taken off.

And $1k for base model..... what are they smoking with that hardware setup?

I mean, yea.... you need a little bit of money for assembling, paying wages and all that, but for that much of a markup? I could see maybe $600 to $750 for a pc that cost $500 to $600 to build but $1k?

Just what I'm currently building in the rvz01 (which is not there base model case btw) for about the $1.1k budget, (well about $700-800 for now, dedicated gpu will be added later which I plan for the $300 to $350 gpu range.)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MzVWwP

(microcenter is being used for cpu/motherboard and no OS as I will be using the windows 10 preview on it for now and will probably buy that once it launches).

And that's hardly being conservative for the parts being chosen where I could of made the build a bit cheaper....

Dropping to a 450W sfx pu instead of 600W (which is well known the 450W can power a GTX 780ti and core i7 4770k just fine),
core i5 instead of i7 (could be core i3 or the overclocking Pentium for further reduction),
having a H97 instead of Z97,
use stock cooling instead of a AIO liquid cooler,
gtx 960 or r9 280x/290 instead of a GTX 970 or R9 290x,
and many more...

Just those i've listed alone will shave off close to $300+ and it would still be overall more powerful than the base unit......

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Good. I hope Lenovo gets every penny stripped for pulling a stunt like that. First thing they should've done was to apologize and let the public know the clown/executive who thought this was a good idea has been fired with a kick in the behind.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Why are you guys acting surprised that its overpriced? Origin pc's are always way overpriced just like Alienware. You can easily get the same pc's from sites that let you pick each part and do all the work for you, but at only 50-60% the price. You are just buying the name, nothing else. Do it yourself and its even less. To a real gamer, you cant really brag about having one of these anyway, you look like a fool for paying that much when you could have gotten somethin much faster for the price.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Wow this is insane. I just built the base model with a 1tb HDD instead for around 600 dollars. They want 1k. I literally build the same system. RVZ01, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Pentium G3258 at 4.5GHZ. 960 too. Actually mine has a better motherboard. A Z97 not H97. What a ripoff.

Tyler45455

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
999 for that load of junk, my current desktop was better than that amd cheaper. By now with all the goodies ive added in my curent pc an run all the newest games at 40 to 60 frames, so i think ill pass on origin and ea like i ussually do.

AVella32

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
idk why Origin is getting into HTPCs. although underrated, in my opinion, they can't build a quality HTPC better that Steiger Dynamics. compare the functionality of the two, SD blows them out of the water...

Status
Not open for further replies.